(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $15 - $16 per hour
Clinton Housing Development Corporation (CHDC) is a non-profit organization committed to developing permanent affordable housing throughout the Hell’s Kitchen and Chelsea neighborhoods of Manhattan. Since 1973, CHDC has been equally committed to developing permanent public open space and garden infrastructure alongside its affordable housing portfolio. The horticulture team at CHDC installs and maintains green spaces throughout CHDC’s nearly 30 properties, including rooftop gardens, courtyards, terraces, backyards, and numerous sidewalk plantings. CHDC is also instrumental in creating and supporting several community gardens, city parks and other community partnerships.
This horticultural internship is designed to offer hands-on experience in urban gardening for those with a passion for and interest in horticulture and public gardens. Interns will work with horticulture staff and volunteers in all phases of public garden maintenance and development. This includes garden design, planting, weeding, watering, mulching, pruning, propagation, Integrated Pest Management, plant identification and interacting with tenants and community volunteers.
Previous gardening experience and/or course work in horticulture, public gardening, or landscape design is preferred. The position is intended to be 35 hours/week (weekdays 8am – 4pm); however, if fewer hours are necessary due to coursework, please let us know in your cover letter. The position may also lead to permanent employment with CHDC if there is mutual interest at the end of the season.
- Under the supervision of the Director of Horticulture, design and install new garden projects (4 new projects are planned for 2023).
- Maintain CHDC’s garden properties alongside other members of the Horticulture team; tasks include planting, weeding, watering, mulching, pruning, pest management and other tasks as necessary.
- Maintain indoor plants as directed.
- Perform light maintenance associated with CHDC’s garden spaces, including litter removal, painting, cleaning/organizing tools, outdoor furniture care and repairing irrigation/other garden features.
- Assist with community-wide events in CHDC’s public green spaces, including two weekend community volunteer planting days.
- Interact with tenants and members of the public in a courteous manner.
- Minimum of six months of professional field experience and/or be enrolled in a horticultural school or related program.
- Basic knowledge of gardening techniques;
- Energetic, motivated, and hardworking
- Ability to take direction, communicate and work well with a diverse stakeholder community.
- Ability to achieve efficiencies in time management, often working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate regularly with coworkers to ensure a productive and harmonious working environment.
- Ability to lift to 40lbs and tolerate exposure to inclement weather.
- Ability to use horticultural tools and power equipment a plus.
Duration: Generally, March-October; please inform us if a different timeframe is desired
For more information visit us at www.clintonhousing.org
Clinton Housing Development Company