Horticulture Maintenance & Design Manager
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: Commensurate with experience
VERDANT is a boutique landscape design firm founded in 2001 and headquartered in the Gowanus district in Brooklyn. Our clients range from high end residential gardens throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn to boutique hotels and corporate headquarters. Our projects continually challenge conventional design and dynamically integrate landscape and architecture.
We are in search of an experienced, hard-working and creative horticulture manager to join our company. We are seeking a professional accustomed to working in New York City with a passion for plants and an intimate knowledge of the intricacies of urban landscape maintenance and project coordination. Our ideal candidate will be well versed in working with indoor and outdoor plants, container gardens, backyards, rooftops and terraces. This position will be an integral member of our team and work closely with clients on the maintenance of existing gardens and the design of new and seasonal plantings.
- Supervising maintenance of high end properties in Manhattan & Brooklyn; troubleshooting cultural, pest & disease issues; monitoring irrigation systems including tracking seasonal adjustments & repairs
- Designing client presentations; generating estimates, tracking invoices & payments, obtaining quotes from contractors & vendors
- Routine site visits to assess, define and monitor specific garden care objectives & priorities
- Working with design team and clients in developing plant lists & planting plans, supervising seasonal plantings & small installations
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in the field of horticulture and detailed knowledge of working in urban gardens in New York
- Ability to manage field staff and coordinate/balance priorities with designers and installation teams, and to also work independently/under the supervision of the Principal
- Excellent communication skills & comfort in managing relationships with high end clientele
- Strong plant ID skills and understanding of cultural needs for a variety of perennials, shrubs and trees
- Experience shopping in the flower district and doing nursery runs on Long Island
- Knowledge of common pests, diseases and management and treatment methods a plus
- Familiarity with commonly used irrigation systems a plus
- Ability to work in the field supervising plantings and installations as needed
- Knowledge of neighborhoods throughout NYC and MTA buses & subway
- Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record, comfortable driving a large truck or cargo van
To apply, please submit a resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com.
To learn more about our company and view our projects, please visit our website: https://verdantny.com/
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE