(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $67,475-80,000 annually
Wildlife Conservation Society: Bronx Zoo
WCS's goal is to conserve the world's largest wild places in 14 priority regions, home to more than 50% of the world's biodiversity. The challenges are greater than ever, but with the focus, dedication, and passion of a committed staff—combined with a unique mixture of field, zoo, and aquarium expertise—WCS will continue to set the bar for science, conservation action, and education that has driven our success in protecting wildlife and wild places for over a century.
About Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS):
WCS stands for wildlife and wild places. As the world’s premier wildlife conservation organization, WCS has a long track record of achieving innovative, impactful results at scale. We run field programs spanning 60 countries and the entire ocean. We build on a unique foundation: Our reach is global; we discover through best-in-class science; we protect through work on the ground with local and indigenous people; we inspire through our world-class zoos, aquarium, and education programs; and we leverage our resources through partnerships and powerful policy influence. Our more than 4,000 diverse, passionately committed team members in New York City and around the world work collectively to achieve our conservation mission.
We are seeking a Horticulture Supervisor to effectively and efficiently manage the Bronx Zoo’s Horticulture department and the departments’ assets. The role is responsible for the Horticultural appearance of the Park’s 265 acres, upkeep of public exhibit spaces, lawns, and all other public spaces. The Supervisor will oversee the Horticulture department’s Gardener staff, providing direction in the care of the zoo’s gardens and forest. The supervisor will also assist the Maintenance Department when necessary to ensure a clean, safe and attractive environment for all staff, volunteers and guests to the park in order to contribute effectively in creating the best possible guest experience for people visiting the zoo.
- This person should be a team leader and able to direct multiple activities at once, providing supervision, guidance and follow up as necessary.
- Must be flexible and have the ability to prioritize jobs and work assignments in a dynamic environment.
- Work effectively with other departments in carrying out the principal functions of the Horticulture departments.
- Must be committed to creating and maintaining a positive guest experience throughout the zoo.
- Must have knowledge and proven experience of grounds keeping, lawn maintenance and snow removal;
- A minimum 5 years’ experience supervising staff and managing teams;
- Ability to manage union staff, understand and interpret labor contract and manage the progressive disciplinary process as outlined therein.
- Must be computer literate, especially Microsoft Office. Familiarity with SAP or other purchasing software is desirable.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to work in varied environments, including all weather conditions.
- This position is considered essential; in addition to working before, during and after emergency situations, including all weather emergencies, and all snowfall events.
- Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field preferred
- Responsible for supervising staff scheduling and providing oversight for all necessary managerial functions for the day-to- day operations of the Horticulture department.
- Supervises and, when necessary, assists Maintenance staff in snow removal and plowing operations.
- With Guidance from the Director of M&H, determines planting and supply needs, and coordinates the activities of contracted arborist.
- Supervises staff to support large plantings, perform routine landscaping, lawn maintenance, weeding, trimming and exhibit work, as well as storm cleanup work.
- Conducts and recommends to the Director of M& H, the hiring, training, evaluation and disciplining, if necessary, of all permanent staff. Oversees the hiring, training, evaluation and disciplining, if necessary, of all seasonal/temporary staff.
- Communicates and coordinates work as appropriate with Curators, managers and supervisors in other departments to guarantee the desired appearance of the Park, exhibits, buildings and grounds in general.
- Maintains and/or oversees any and all records that the Department is are required to keep, including, but not limited to tree maintenance records, SDS manuals, receiving documents, tree maintenance records, etc.
- Represents the Departments at internal meetings or with outside agencies as requested by the Director of M&H.
- Maintains the Society’s standards for quality and professionalism and enhanced guest experience throughout the Park, its facilities, buildings and exhibits.
- Monitors the operation of all department functions by daily inspections of all job sites/work locations and documenting such inspections as required by WCS, City, State and Federal policy.
- Assists the Maintenance department, as directed, in the supervision of clean up after weather events, including snowfalls.
Health, Dental, Vision, 401K, 15 Vacation Days, 13 Holidays, 12 PTO, access to parks, zoos, and aquarium, plus much more...
$67,500 - $80,000
Wildlife Conservation Society: Bronx Zoo
Contact Name: AJ Roberts
Website: Apply Online