Start Date: November 20, 2023 Compensation: $35.19 per hour
The Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation (“BBP”) is the not‐for-profit corporation responsible for the planning, construction, maintenance and operation of Brooklyn Bridge Park, an 85‐acre sustainable waterfront park stretching 1.3 miles along Brooklyn’s East River shoreline. Since 2010, BBP has constructed and opened 50 acres of new park space, reconnecting the public to the waterfront and providing world class open space and recreational opportunities. All landscape beds, trees, and lawns are managed organically, with an emphasis on ecology.
Working collaboratively with other Horticulture Leadership members, the Horticulture Supervisor is responsible for the daily operations and oversight of Horticulture field operations. The Horticulture Supervisor oversees the Horticulture crew, delegates assignments, sets and monitors expectations, reports potentially unsafe conditions, and serves as a point person for volunteer groups and contractors. The ideal candidate will positively, professionally, and constructively manage Horticulture’s operations by encouraging team cohesion and morale; along with reinforcing our policies and procedures.
- Supervise the Horticulture team by delegating tasks to gardeners and assess task completion.
- Conduct daily morning meetings – assuring essential information about the park’s day-to-day operation is communicated to the team.
- Create and manage the day-to-day group project schedules of staff.
- Track staff attendance & time-off.
- Complete regular walk-throughs of all Horticulture zones of the park.
- Respond to daily needs of Horticulture staff in the field.
- Provide ground support for park Arborist operations.
- Oversee the management of shared Horticulture Department spaces such as storage areas, lab, & nursery, in collaboration with Horticulture Leadership.
- Source equipment and materials to maintain highest standard of organization amongst storage locations, and communicate requests to Director & Deputy Director.
- Manage equipment & tool assembly, care and servicing.
- Complete Horticulture tasks as needed, such as watering, acting as temporary zone coverage, and addressing emergency pruning tasks.
- Serve as a primary liaison for the BBP Conservancy’s Volunteer Manager, including planning horticulture projects for large groups of volunteers, and assisting the BBPC with them when necessary.
- Oversee Horticulture Department contractor projects.
- Assist in training staff in essential job functions, as well as in BBP practices, philosophy, and priorities, in collaboration with Horticulture Leadership.
- Ensure that best planting, watering, weeding strategies are practiced by staff, in collaboration with Horticulture Leadership.
- Ensure that new and existing seasonal and full time gardeners have the resources, information, tools, and uniforms required to succeed.
- Contribute to the tracking of staff performance.
- Set an example of professionalism, excellent work ethic, and healthy attitude to the team.
- Interact with park patrons in a professional manner as a representative of BBP.
- Provide support to and collaborate with other Operations departments on a variety of tasks, including snow removal.
- Perform other duties as required in the scope of the job and as designated by Operations Management.
- Work collaboratively with co-supervisors in all above functions.
- BS degree and/or certifications in Biology or Horticultural Studies preferred
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience in a park setting preferred
- Foundational knowledge of organic, ecology-centered horticulture practices
- Enthusiasm to learn and implement BBP priorities, and practices
- Working knowledge of commonly used computer programs (Microsoft Office, Cartegraph)
- Knowledge of irrigation system functionality and repair
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in high pressure dynamics
- Hardworking, energetic, self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Strong communication skills and leadership ability
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Valid NYS Driver License with clean driving record
- NYC residency required