Start Date: immediately Compensation: $20-$23 per hour plus over-time
The Horticulturist will report directly to the Horticulture Manager and the Director of Horticulture and work with other members of the Horticulture Crew to maintain Randall’s Island Parks’ existing gardens and develop new gardens. The Horticulturist will also assist with volunteer events and programming as needed.
The Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. (RIPA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that works with the City of New York and local communities to provide an innovative and exciting destination through a wide range of sports venues, cultural events and environmental exploration. As the dedicated steward of Randall’s Island Park, the Alliance sustains, maintains, develops and programs the Park to support the wellbeing of all New Yorkers.
- Work with the Randall’s Island Horticulture Crew to assist in horticultural activities and general maintenance work, including soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding,edging, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation, planting, and caring for existing gardens.
- Hand water and monitor irrigation of plantings, especially during time of establishment and drought.
- Operate small hand tools and basic power machinery, including hedge trimmers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- Assist with volunteer events and educational activities, as needed.
- General clean-up of garden beds and paths, clean-up litter.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned by the Horticulture Manager and/or the Director of Horticulture.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- B.A. in Public Horticulture, Agriculture orrelated fields OR equivalent horticulture certificate/coursework OR 3 years hands-on experience in horticulture.Work closely with Horticulture Manager and Director of Horticulture on maintenance plants for various gardens on Randall’s Island.
- Knowledge of plants, their cultural requirements and their botanical nomenclature, including protection and transplanting of existing plants, soil preparation, planting, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilization, irrigation, IPM and pesticide application.
- Perform all garden activities working with plant material, which includes, but is not limited to performance of all tasks necessary for the good health and overall appearance of garden areas, woody ornamentals, herbaceous perennials and small trees.
- Research, document, report, and catalog plant-related information.
- Act as an ambassador for RIPA, answering questions for park visitors, co-leading volunteer events, and co-facilitating garden tours.
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools.
- Operate small hand tools and basic power machinery, including hedge trimmers, weed whackers, push mowers, and leaf blowers.
- Must have a strong interest in horticulture and the environment.
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Willing and able to learn how to maintain and create containers for visual display
- Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team·
- Flexibility to work overtime and weekends
- Valid New York State driver’s license
- Knowledge of composting, integrate pest management (IPM), propagation, and basic carpentry skills
- Ability to use light power equipment and hand tools
- Experience working with volunteers and youth preferred
- Detail-oriented,with considerable attention to order and cleanliness throughout the park·
- Good communication and leadership skills