Start Date: ASAP
An estate garden in Bedford, NY with extensive plant collections and a variety of garden areas is seeking an experienced horticulturist.
The Horticulturist will participate in all aspects of plant health care throughout the property with a particular focus on maintaining understory trees and shrubs, perennial beds, and developing new garden areas. A qualified candidate must possess enthusiasm for plants and gardens, and energy to accomplish large-scale projects.
- Maintain all aspects of intensely cultivated and well-established garden areas —planting, dividing, weeding, mulching, pruning, deadheading, etc. using best horticultural practices
- Renovate older beds including soil amendments and plant division
- Record plant acquisitions, transplants and de-accessioned material; assist in the maintenance of plant labels throughout the garden
- Fine prune ornamental woody plant collections, as directed
- Monitor for pests and disease
- Monitor irrigation system and report any problems
- Hand water newly planted trees and shrubs
- Work in conjunction with other gardeners on large projects throughout the property
- Maintain neat and orderly work space, and personal appearance
- Degree or certification in horticulture or related field
- Must possess a strong knowledge of plant identification, plant growth and cultural requirements
- Ability to recognize pests and disease, and implement IPM strategies
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to manage time efficiently and execute tasks independently
- Familiar with Microsoft Office
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and to perform strenuous labor in all weather conditions
- Ability to be flexible in a fast paced and dynamic environment where priorities shift due to variables like weather, scheduling and events
Competitive salary and benefits package offered, commensurate with experience.