The Horticulturist helps manage and implement daily operations for Garden in the Woods with ecological principles and practices. The position will involve supervision of interns and volunteers, long-term planning, plant records work, and facilities maintenance. Additional work includes educational outreach via tours, field trips, teaching classes, lectures, and publications.
- Manage garden displays in assigned areas to the highest level of aesthetics, plant health, ecological function, and educational value.
- Recommend and implement appropriate design improvements.
- Manage garden renovations in assigned areas, through scheduling contractors and suppliers. Create a work plan and oversee the timely implementation of all renovation projects.
- Conduct class lectures and tours, develop interpretive materials, write articles, and contribute to grant proposals.
- Manage facilities by scheduling contractors for maintenance and emergency repairs. Supervise contractors as needed during projects.
- Monitor maintenance budget, create and submit purchase orders for approval.
- Assist in hiring and managing seasonal interns and volunteers.
- Implement pest management through organic and ecological methods.
- Help with special exhibits and events.
- Operate and maintain garden/grounds equipment to adequately complete tasks.
- Schedule timely maintenance of all equipment.
- May require work on nights or weekends.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Ideal candidate will possess working knowledge of ecological horticulture practices and techniques, familiarity with regionally appropriate native plants, and well-developed communication skills.
- A working knowledge of the flora and habitats of New England.
- A demonstrated commitment to ecological gardening.
- Prior experience working in a public garden setting.
- Ability to communicate clearly (written and orally), interact well with the public, and feel comfortable conducting public education and outreach.
- Ability to work well with interns and volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work in various and sometimes difficult conditions in all types of weather.
- Ability to be flexible in terms of daily tasks.
- Positive outlook and willingness to learn and grow