Compensation: $30-$35,000 per year
Lockerly Arboretum seeks a team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a passion for plants to serve as our Horticulturist. This position reports to the Executive Director and is an integral part of a team-focused approach to developing and achieving ambitious goals. The Horticulturist must embrace a challenge, have a strong work ethic, and be a strategic thinker with a “can-do” attitude. As a key public face of Lockerly Arboretum, the Horticulturist will build relationships with volunteers and visitors, and be a passionate advocate for the organization and our collections.
- Manages the annual departmental operating budget and evaluates programs and projects to ensure maximum cost effectiveness.
- Participates in the development, review and implementation of Arboretum procedures to ensure the grounds and plant collections are consistently maintained at the highest possible standards.
- Administers the Collections Management Program to ensure that our plant collections are planned, creatively designed and planted, developed, maintained.
- Ensures that best horticultural practices are applied in Arboretum maintenance via the Maintenance Plan.
- Supports all efforts to enhance the visitor experience by planning and implementing new strategies and programs to engage visitors in horticulture.
- Supports institutional events and programs, serves as an active participant on committees.
- Write occasional articles for the Arboretum’s newsletter.
- Work with the Education Programs Coordinator to plan horticulture specific demonstrations, programs and tours.
- Work with our Dirt Digger volunteer groups to support the horticulture goals of Lockerly.
- Supports peers and staff in achieving overall institutional goals.
- Serves as an external representative of the organization and as a liaison with key organizations to support achieving Lockerly’s goals.
- 2 or 4 year Degree in Horticulture or related discipline. Equivalent experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.
- Required: Team player, proficiency in MS Office, greenhouse systems, accession records/database management.
- Preferred but not required: knowledge of GIS, irrigation systems, grounds maintenance equipment.
Contact Name: Jennifer Pollard