(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $21-26 an hour
Job Type: Full-Time, Year-Round; Monday – Friday, plus overtime and weekends when needed, Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $22-$26/hour
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package 60 days following date of hire (health insurance, paid time off, etc.)
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York City 10035
Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. (RIPA) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that works with the City of New York and local communities to provide an innovative and exciting destination through a wide range of sports venues, public programs, cultural events, and environmental exploration. The Horticulturist will report to the Director of Grounds and the Horticulture Manager and work with members of the Horticulture crew to maintain Randall’s Island Parks’ gardens and green streets with an emphasis on ecological landscape management. It is important to note that Randall’s Island is a public park and maintenance practices of the meadows and gardens differ from the ecological practices on a nature preserve/private residence. The Horticulturist will also assist with volunteer events, tours, and programming, as needed.
- General maintenance/oversight of all landscapes and gardens including wildflower meadows, woodlands, perennial gardens and green streets. Tasks include, but are not limited to, plant propagation soil cultivation, digging, deadheading, thinning, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, seed sowing, bed preparation, tree and shrub pruning, planting, and caring for existing gardens.
- Knowledge of plants, their cultural requirements, and their botanical nomenclature, including protection and transplanting of existing plants, soil preparation, watering fertilization, irrigation, IPM etc.
- Assist with training and developing seasonal Horticulturists and Groundskeepers, giving occasional direction.
- Assist with the preparation of programming activities/festivals, as needed.
- Assist with volunteer groups in the meadows and gardens, as needed.
- Act as an ambassador for Randall’s Island, answering questions from visitors, including horticulture, park design, history, and general information.
- Research, data collection and horticultural database maintenance.
- Hand water and monitor irrigation of plantings, especially during time of establishment and drought.
- Operate hand tools and basic power machinery, including hedge trimmers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers and will report need for replacement or repairs to Management.
- Create containers for seasonal and holiday visual display.
- Drive vehicles and operate other motorized equipment incidental to the performance of duties.
- General clean-up of garden beds and paths, clean-up litter.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- B.A. in Public Horticulture or related fields OR equivalent horticulture certificate/coursework OR 3 years hands-on experience in horticulture/landscaping
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools
- Knowledge in management and maintenance techniques of native ecosystems
- Strong native/non-native, perennial/annual, tree/shrub and weed identification skills
- Integrated pest management skills and techniques
- Demonstrated understanding of ecological practices
- Knowledge of invasive weeds and ecological techniques
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions
- Ability to use light power equipment and tools
- Ability to shift priorities and focus, when needed
- Ability to collaborate and creative positive working relationships
- Ability to perform physical labor; must be able to lift up to 50lbs
- Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to work overtime and weekends, when needed.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects
- Valid Driver License
- 5 years of hands-on gardening/landscaping experience
- Experience working in public parks and knowledge of landscaping techniques
- Experience with, and knowledge of plants native to the North East area of the United States
- Familiar with greenhouse techniques and plant propagation including annuals and perennials, natives, and non-natives
- Knowledge of composting, propagation, and basic carpentry skills
- Experience operating equipment (ie. Backhoe/loader, skidsteer, tractor, etc.)
- Experience working with volunteers and the public
- Knowledge of sustainable landscape design
- Pesticide license
- Familiarity with Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategies and ability to execute in assigned zone
- GIS knowledge
- Certified Arborist
The Randall’s Island Park Alliance, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes in a diverse and an inclusive workspace.
RIPA maintains confidentiality of all applications and therefore will never contact a present employer without prior consent from the applicant.
Randall's Island Park Alliance
Website: Apply Online