Horticulturist - Full Time
Start Date: Fall 2022 Compensation: $40,000-$50,000 per year
The Mountain Top Arboretum is located in the northern Catskill Mountains of New York at 2,400 feet elevation in an area with a rich artistic history and a vibrant year round music, arts, and food scene. The Arboretum was established in 1977 and comprises displays of native and non-native plants and curated natural areas in four separate but interconnected sites covering 178 acres. See www.mtarboretum.org. Of special mention are its native plantings surrounding the new timber frame Education Center, the woodland walk, hedgerow display, spiral labyrinth, bird cove highlighting the importance of native species, and an unspoiled northern hardwood/conifer forest surrounding a mountain top marsh. The site is at the northern end of the New York City watershed requiring special attention to ecological practices. The Arboretum presents public programs throughout the year, using its Education Center for indoor programming.
The Arboretum seeks to hire a full time Horticulturist reporting to the Executive Director. The Horticulturist will participate in all aspects of plant care and grounds maintenance throughout the property with a particular focus on the Arboretum’s displays and natural areas. A qualified candidate is passionate about plants and nomenclature, has a discerning eye, a strong work ethic, enjoys interacting with the public and would like an opportunity to gain broad experience in a small but high-quality organization.
- Perform garden maintenance such as pruning, planting, mulching ,weeding and watering.
- Supervise volunteers and arboretum contractors.
- Maintain accurate plant records and labeling and support collections research.
- Monitor for pests, invasive species and diseases and safely apply repellents and fertilizers.
- Manage maintenance of buildings and facilities including restroom provisioning, snow removal, deer fence maintenance, and performing minor repairs.
- Assess and recommend actions for continued horticulture improvement.
- Lead garden tours and assist with events, including some weekends and evenings.
- Execute various office duties such as programming, PR and local outreach.
Please Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
- Degree or certification in horticulture or related field.
- Experience in public garden or estate horticulture maintenance.
- Excellent knowledge of plant identification, health and culture.
- Able to identify pests, invasive species and diseases and implement IPM strategies.
- Able to work independently and take responsibility for plan execution.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and social media.
- Comfortable and proficient with marketing and promotion strategies and skills
- Have valid driver’s license and able to operate tractor, utility vehicle and other equipment.
- Able to handle physical demands of the job and lift heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Friendly, active listener with excellent conversational and speaking skills
Mountain Top Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer. The desired start date is Fall 2022. The successful candidate will receive salary and benefits commensurate with experience
Mountain Top Arboretum
Contact Name: Marc Wolf