Horticulturist- Sands Point, NY
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $80-90k+ BOE
A prominent estate on the Gold Coast of Long Island is looking for a passionate horticulturist to assist with the care and development of its unique grounds. The 5-acre organic property includes extensive perennial and shrub borders, woodland garden, knot garden, vegetable and cut flower garden, numerous seasonal container displays, greenhouses, koi ponds and water features. Additionally, the waterfront property is home to many birds including peacocks, chickens, pheasants, and guinea hens.
The ideal candidate will have a genuine interest in gardens and the natural world. The available position is suited for individual with 2-5 years of experience working in gardens, private or public, who is looking for an engaging and unique garden to call home. You will work together with the existing team of groundskeepers to maintain the property and report directly to the Estate Manager and Owners. This is a full-time, year-round position that includes benefits.
- Perform horticultural tasks including planting, pruning, weeding, watering, deadheading, mulching, and some lawn care.
- Maintain annual and perennial container displays.
- Assist with greenhouse maintenance and snow removal Available to work occasional weekends as needed.
- Formal horticultural training is viewed highly but extensive practical experience is preferable.
- Two years' experience or more as a gardener/horticulturist in the private or public sector.
- Wide range of plant identification and knowledge of care will be necessary.
- Knowledge of Orchids helpful
- Willingness to work amongst exotic birds, dogs, and other family pets.
- Ability to work with a team as well as independently.
- Experience with typical garden tools and machinery
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs on a regular basis. Punctual, hardworking, and self-motivated Knowledge of Spanish helpful
Please email resume, photo and reference letters.
Sands Point Estate
Contact Name: Ilyse