Indoor Greenhouse Horticulturist
Compensation: $20 - $23/hour
The Indoor Horticulturist’s role will be responsible for assisting in the development and coordination of sales activities related to the retail greenhouse operation. The Greenhouse Sales Associate is essentially responsible for the presentation of the greenhouse, maintenance of that specific area of plant material and the interaction with the retail clients.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Process customer orders and administer basic quotations
- Be proactive by greeting customers by helping them find the plants they are looking for (or substitutions)
- Answer day to day on-site customer inquiries about availability, pricing and plant/product questions
- Organize, set-up and display all plant material and Point-of-Purchase material in the designated greenhouse for optimal attractiveness to create and drive sales
- Maintain all plant material in the retail area, including but not limited to watering, pruning, scouting for insects and disease, etc.
- Restocking the greenhouse with plants out of the wholesale area and communicating with the Nursery Manager on material quantities and future needs
- Understand and become fluent in the greenhouse inventory / sales system. Assist in the set- up and use of the software system to manage all material flowing through the retail portion of the nursery
- Promptly greet customers, assist with plant selections, load plant material, and process sales through Point-of-Sales system. Also, create spot designs to promote sales of greenhouse stock as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned by management, including assisting at the wreath counter during the Christmas season.
- Horticultural training or extensive gardening experience
- Excellent knowledge of plant material including health, quality issues, disease and pests of landscape plants
- Able to become familiar with industry standard inventory & sales software
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in all interactions with customers
- Identify and resolve problematic situations in a timely manner
- Work well independently and as part of a team
- Use excellent verbal and written communication skills
Required Education and Competencies:
- High school degree or GED preferred
- At least 2 years of customer service experience (Horticulture or Greenhouse experience preferred)
- Possess a working knowledge of a variety of plants and their uses as well as their care
- Drivers license
- Strong attention to detail and willingness to learn
- Must be able to organize, plan and prioritize- work independently and be hands-on
Contact Name: Jackie Lomtevas