Install Crew Member
Brooklyn Grange, the world’s leading soil-based rooftop farm business and premier NYC landscaping firm, is seeking focused, positive, hard-working team members to help our Design/Build Program team install off-site, client based green roofs and urban landscapes.
Design/Build Crew Members will report to the Project Managers (PM). They will be installing commercial and residential urban landscapes, including amenity terraces, ground level gardens, tree pits, green roofs, green walls, and indoor tropical spaces. Crew Members will also install hardscaping components (such as custom carpentry, masonry, and stone/pavers), and will implement basic assembly techniques of non-plant installations.
Design/Build Crew Members are creative problem solvers, with experience with – or a quick ability to learn – landscape installations, irrigation systems, basic construction, or carpentry (or similar technical skills). Prior green roof experience is not required, but initiative and an interest in learning is key. In addition to skillfully helping to install urban landscapes, Crew Members must be able to work together within a team, stepping up to help others. D/B Crew Members also must maintain Brooklyn Grange’s aesthetic and workplace standards throughout the build out of a landscaped installation.
The work involves frequent physical labor in varied weather conditions, early mornings, travel to sites in NYC and Long Island, and compliance with safety policies and wellbeing requirements. When installation work is not scheduled, Crew Members will work on facilities projects at our rooftop farms and/or will help our gardening team maintain and upkeep off-site client garden spaces with members of the D/B Maintenance Team.
- Install urban landscapes and components, including green roof systems, stone patios, planter boxes, container gardens, green walls, irrigation systems, LED lighting, etc.
- Install varied plant species, including flowers, shrubs, trees, sedum, etc.
- Help maintain and contribute to the upkeep of Brooklyn Grange’s facilities spaces, including our rooftop farms, tool storage, plant nursery, and vehicles.
- Contribute to the maintenance and upkeep of existing client garden sites.
- Work successfully within a team structure, communicate clearly, follow directions and be attentive to safety, and take initiative to help others.
- Travel independently to client sites across Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens.
- Uphold Brooklyn Grange’s standards for respect, professionalism, efficiency, and community at all times.
- Has 40 hrs of Site Safety Training (SST) or applicable OSHA certifications, though not required.
- Is positive, energetic, and has a strong work ethic.
- Is punctual and time efficient, can work early mornings, and is responsible.
- Has experience and general knowledge of garden installations, and is a fast learner.
- Possesses some carpentry skill and knowledge of general assembly techniques, and is comfortable operating heavy machinery/power tools.
- Is comfortable working on rooftops, near ledges, and at other heights, while wearing appropriate safety gear.
- Is a doer: upon finishing a task, will immediately begin undertaking another; thinks big picture while also being attentive to the details; looks ahead to determine what needs to get done.
- Can take direction and is a team player, can work collaboratively alongside a team, demonstrates initiative and leads by example.
- Can lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and can squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time.
- Familiarity with Eastern plants of zones 4 through 7b including: plant ID’s, growth habits, bloom times, training requirements, and preferred soil types is a plus.
- A valid driver’s license, a clean driving record, and comfort driving in New York City in minivans, cargo vans, and box trucks is a plus.