Invasive Species Control Technician - New Paltz
Start Date: 4/15/2020 Compensation: Commensurate with Quals
Invasive Plant Control Technician – Seasonal
Trillium ISM, INC practices invasive plant management in New York State, primarily in the Hudson Valley region. The applicant will have the opportunity to travel throughout the region and work in many of our area’s parks and preserves. We take pride in implementing a wide range of control techniques and are seeking a motivated, skilled individual to aid in the implementation of land restoration and invasive plant control projects.
Duties will involve field work (from the hand removal of plants, to the use of machinery and herbicide applications) and maintenance of equipment but also may include GPS/GIS work, report writing, and assisting with management plan development. Season ends approximately in mid-October but may extend into November. This is a full-time, seasonal position that may require some weekend work. Part-time work may also be available for the right individual (licensed applicator with extensive knowledge and experience). We are hiring for three positions; one may be extended to year-round work.
Trillium ISM, INC is a growing company made up of individuals who care deeply for conservation, enjoy working in some of the most beautiful sites in the Hudson Valley, and love learning about and being outdoors. Visit www.trilliumism.com for more information about us.
Duties will involve field work (from the hand removal of plants, to the use of machinery and herbicide applications) and maintenance of equipment but also may include GPS/GIS work, report writing, and assisting with management plan development.
- B.S. in Natural Resources, or equivalent.
- NYDEC licensed technician or applicator preferred but not required, training will be provided as required.
Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience managing invasive plants preferred.
- Knowledge of plants and their identification.
o Specific knowledge of invasive species both widespread and emerging in our region.
o Field identification of native plants.
- Knowledge and understanding of habitat communities in the Hudson Valley.
- Training in chainsaw use and safety.
- Experience with small engine use and maintenance.
- Experience with ATV operation.
- Experience with field grade GPS (trimble and garmin) and GIS.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to navigate steep slopes on uneven terrain while carrying a backpack weighing ~35lbs.
- Ability to hike for several hours in inclement weather
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Valid US driver’s license.
These positions are based out of our office in New Paltz, NY. Employees will be expected to meet at the office each morning.