Brooklyn Grange, New York’s leading urban farming, rooftop events, and landscaping business, is seeking an experienced Landscape Designer to join its Design/Build team. The Design/Build department is charged with the design, construction, and maintenance of green roofs, container gardens, terraces, yards, green walls, edible landscapes, and more. The Landscape Designer & Sales Lead will be responsible for the sales, design, and development of these urban greenspace projects - from responding to initial client inquiries, to conceptual design and project estimates, to design and shop drawing development and review, and hand-off to Brooklyn Grange’s Project Managers for installation.
Key responsibilities will include making sales for design & installation work, drafting client proposals with cost estimates, and preparing sustainable and beautiful designs for an array of urban landscape installations ranging from small to large, residential to commercial, and ornamental to edible, as well as estimates for garden maintenance sites. The Landscape Designer & Sales Lead will report to the Director of Design/Build and will collaborate with the company’s Chief Creative Officer, Design/Build Project Managers, and the Head Gardener who oversees long-term maintenance of our sites.
The Landscape Designer is a detail-oriented, creative self-starter who can maintain Brooklyn Grange’s standards throughout all aspects of the design and sales process. Applicants should be passionate about creating and selling innovative and sustainable greenscape designs, while also understanding the cost and budget processes related to project installation. They must have experience drafting and finalizing designs for a range of urban landscape projects and must have familiarity with common construction methods and installation techniques, including planter boxes, green roofs, and green walls, and urban landscape settings including yards, tree pits, terraces and roofs. Above and beyond, the Landscape Designer should also have a strong vision and design sensibility, with an awareness of composition, color, and general appeal as it relates to plant design and client proposals. The Landscape Designer should be able to produce documents that clearly communicate landscape design and intention, including planting plans, irrigation maps, mood boards, and simple renderings. The Landscape Designer & Sales Lead will be working across a variety of site conditions, and should have horticultural experience and a strong foundation in plant types and landscape design, soils and growing conditions, and best practices for urban landscapes, both at ground level and rooftop.
Urban Landscape Sales
As it relates to sales, the Landscape Designer should be driven to increase the company’s installation projects, motivated by a shared goal to expand green spaces throughout the city (and beyond), as well as to contribute to revenue growth for the business. Professional client communications, as well as confidence and working knowledge of sustainable green space design and installations will be critical during all sales-focused interactions. The Landscape Designer should be able to communicate well—in writing and in person—with clients, vendors, architects, general contractors, and other key stakeholders, answering questions about installation, products, plants, prices, and aesthetics. They will be required to make visits to potential project sites to assess and evaluate conditions that influence the design and the installation process. After meeting with the client and visiting the site, the Landscape Designer will generate comprehensive project estimates and initial designs, based on a clear understanding of site conditions, client desires, and the labor and materials costs required to execute the project well. The Landscape Designer will be required to keep track of changing materials and labor costs, and feel comfortable regularly engaging with vendors, subcontractors, and other stakeholders to develop precise project estimates. On occasion, they should be prepared to adjust estimates and designs to accommodate client budgets, and to negotiate pricing with both clients and vendors. Upon client approval of proposals/contracts, the Landscape Designer will work collaboratively with Project Managers to hand off the client and the project for installation. This may include design review, site visits, and additional client meetings to ensure that the project is set up for a smooth transition into the installation phase and beyond.
This is a highly collaborative role that requires prior experience and self-initiative, a passion for urban landscape design, and clear and personable communication, with the opportunity to work alongside and be supported by a dedicated and hardworking team in pursuit of a common mission.
SCHEDULE and LOCATION: Design/Build schedule will consist of Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week. The Landscape Designer will sit in the company’s office headquarters in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, and be expected to travel to client sites throughout New York City and the surrounding region.
ABOUT THE COMPANY: Brooklyn Grange is the world’s largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host programming & events on roofs in LIC, Queens, and Brooklyn, NY. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities.
All three of our departments—our Farm department, our Programming & Events department, and our Design/Build department—are part of our close-knit “farmily,” so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable, delicious, and equitable place to live.
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING:
- A progressive work environment as part of a small and enthusiastic team
- Salary starts at $50,000, commensurate with experience
- Prevailing Wage rates may apply for covered projects
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Participation in the company’s Simple IRA plan, Health Benefit, and other benefits
- Discounted Employee CSA offering
- Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops, and access to NYC’s most delicious vegetables when in season
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Landscape Designer & Sales Lead Job Application”
- Include a resume, cover letter, and landscape design portfolio (PDF or website link)
- Include at least 2 professional references
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled
- Lead all urban landscape design work for clients in and around New York City
- Lead the sales for Brooklyn Grange’s Design/Build department, with the goal to increase and expand upon current portfolios
- Produce timely estimates and design proposals for varied urban landscape projects and manage their development throughout all stages of design and sales - from initial client inquiry to handoff to Project Managers for installation
- Demonstrate confident knowledge of urban landscape design and installations, building a professional rapport with clients that fosters prospects for future work
- Perform site visits to evaluate conditions that influence the design and installation process, including measurements, access, light conditions, existing infrastructure or existing landscaping, etc.
- Attend meetings with clients, general contractors, architects, and other relevant team members, and give sales or design presentations as requested
- Prepare plans (to scale), mood boards, 3D models, renderings, and other drawings to present and communicate sustainable and aesthetically-driven design concepts internally to team members and externally to clients
- Clearly and effectively communicate with all Project Managers, Director of Design/Build, subcontractors, etc., regarding all matters related to the successful coordination of project needs and execution
- Coordinate with vendors and subcontractors and obtain quotes when applicable; Brooklyn Grange welcomes new vendor recommendations and relationships.
- Work as a team player, supporting Project Managers, Head Gardener, and Director of Design/Build as-needed, assisting with all aspects of department work from project planning to completion; must be willing to jump-in on other work as needed, demonstrating initiative and eagerness to contribute to a collaborative effort
- Prepare and present detailed project plans and participate in meetings and site visits with Project Managers prior to build out to ensure successful hand off from design phase to installation phase
The Ideal Candidate
- Is positive, energetic, has a strong work ethic, and is passionate about urban sustainability and sustainable landscape design
- Creates beautiful and illustrative designs, and can execute design work to a high standard as well as with efficiency and speed
- Has 3 years of experience in landscape installation, sales, estimating and design
- Has on-the-ground experience installing urban landscapes, hardscaping, and/or green roofs and is aware of the challenges and requirements to successfully execute them; carries this onsite experience into the design process, working to troubleshoot issues at the outset of the design and sales process
- Is professional and personable with clients, and driven to execute sales of landscaped spaces, with careful attention to detail and an ability to efficiently manage multiple client inquiries and project designs in any given week
- Has familiarity with Eastern plants of zones 4 through 7b including: plant ID’s, growth habits, bloom times, training requirements, and preferred soil types and depths
- Has experience with multiple urban gardening and farming installation methods, including planters, green roofs, green walls and rooftop as well as ground-level installations
- Is proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign, Sketch Up, CAD or other relevant design program experience a plus. Should be confident using spreadsheets and other project management software and tools.
- Is confident and experienced at reading and interpreting architectural plans, shop drawings, irrigation layouts, and materials spec sheets (Applicants selected for interviews may request that Brooklyn Grange share samples of submissions for a clear understanding of what will be required)
- Familiarity with rating systems for sustainable design (LEED, SITES, LBC) and Experience with AIA invoicing and contracting is a plus
- Displays initiative at all stages of project timeline and is responsive and communicative with team-members and clients
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Is a consummate team player and keen people person; is willing to assist with any/all aspects of the Design/Build team’s work as well as the company as a whole
- Is punctual, efficient, and organized
- Holds a valid driver’s license and is comfortable driving vehicles within NYC is preferred
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.