(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $65k to $80k per year
ABOUT THE TRUST FOR GOVERNORS ISLAND
The Trust for Governors Island (The Trust) is a nonprofit corporation created by the City of New York. It is responsible for the redevelopment and operation of 150 acres of Governors Island. The Trust's mission is to realize the full potential of Governors Island, demonstrating a bold vision for public space. For more information, visit www.govisland.org.
Salary Range: $65 to $80k per year.
Location and Schedule: All positions are located on Governors Island. The position is in-person (five-day work week).
The Landscape Manager is a full-time year-round employee of the Trust for Governors Island (Trust). Reporting to the Director of Horticulture, the Manager leads a team of landscapers in the care and maintenance of the Island’s diverse grounds, lawns and landscapes. The position requires the implementation of ecologically sensitive turf management strategies. The landscape includes both historical landscapes and athletic fields. This position requires superior organizational, interpersonal, communication and management skills and the ability to work effectively as a team leader in a fast-paced environment.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead work in the field, supervising a team of full-time landscapers to maintain the Islands grounds, lawns and landscapes.
- Develop and lead the execution of athletic field and turf grass maintenance programs for the Island.
- Develop and maintain budgets related to landscape maintenance.
- Manage staff’s weekly work schedules through work order software, adjusting staffing levels as appropriate.
- Ensure appropriate training of full-time and seasonal landscaping team to ensure proper, efficient and safe use of all equipment and tools.
- Purchase necessary materials for maintenance of the grounds.
- Ensure that all equipment receives necessary routine maintenance, documenting and reporting any damage or service issues with Island’s equipment or tools.
- Oversee irrigation systems for turf and planted areas, coordinating repairs and seasonal start-up and shut off of irrigation systems.
- Manage irrigation parts inventory and timers/remote computer system.
- Oversee turf maintenance including mowing, string trimming, aeration, seeding, fertilization, top- dressing, irrigation maintenance and repair, as well as seasonal turf installation and restoration.
- Lead other landscape maintenance activities, such as leaf blowing and collection, mulching, clearing debris from paths and roadways, power washing, snow removal, and event support needs.
- Athletic Field maintenance includes grooming clay infields, striping of playing field lines, monitoring for diseases, insects and invasive weeds, and relocation and set up of goals and bleachers.
- Maintain landscape back-of-house, including transport of bulk materials, inventory and maintenance of tools and equipment, daily inspection and cleaning of equipment.
- Coordinate with the Trust’s Events staff to facilitate event load-ins and set-ups.
- Work with various Island stakeholders to meet their landscape needs.
- Lead snow removal and storm response teams to clear island roads, paths.
- Effectively manage and supervise full time and seasonal staff that includes union and non-union employees (including daily oversight and performance management).
- Manage vendors.
- Other responsibilities, as assigned.
Other responsibilities include:
- Actively promote and contribute to the Island’s sustainability initiatives, including coordination with on-Island program partners.
- Act as an ambassador for Governors Island, providing park visitors general information about the Island, park design, horticulture, and Island history.
- Ensure that the Island’s landscapes are utilized by the public, tenants and program partners in a way that is safe and protects the health of lawns, trees and other plantings.
- 5-7+ years of experience in maintenance of grounds, lawns and landscapes.
- Graduation from a degree program in Turfgrass Science and Management
- Experience working in a park or public space or similar campus setting.
- 4+ years of experience in a supervisory role, managing full time and seasonal labor. Experience working with union staff under a CBA.
- New York Pesticide applicator license or ability to be licensed within one year of hire.
Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with all types of grounds maintenance equipment including mowers, trimmers, aerators, slit seeders, spreaders, screeners, rollers, hedge trimmers, chainsaws, blowers, rototillers, landscape tractors and skid steers.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (oral and written), organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform heavy, physical labor on a daily basis, to walk, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and regularly lift and/or move 75 lbs. with proper tools.
- High level of personal accountability, self-organization, autonomy and discipline.
- Ability to work with people at all levels with an open and engaging personality.
- Ability to be flexible and make sound professional judgments.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule of days, evenings, weekends, long shifts and holiday shifts.
- A team-player mentality with a willingness to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standard of Island operations.
- Valid driver’s license.
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document to email@example.com with “Landscape Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment with the Trust, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the Trust.
The Trust for Governors Island does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, genetic information, marital status, membership in an employee organization, military service, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, or other non-merit factor.
The Trust for Governors Island