Landscape restoration crew member
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: New Hire Rate: $43,410 Incumbent Rate: $49,992
Environment and Planning division aims to protect, restore, and expand New York City Parks including green spaces and natural areas to maximize their benefits for environmental and community health and resilience. The Natural Resources Group’s mission is to protect, restore, expand, and manage New York City’s over 12,000 acres of natural spaces and green infrastructure across the five boroughs, including forests, grasslands and wetlands.
- Under general supervision, lead and participate in silviculture, site preparation, invasive species control and other natural areas restoration work throughout New York City with a focus on landscape-scale restoration in Idlewild Park.
- Plant and cultivate trees, flowers, and shrubs. Prepare soil and seed beds. Grade, sod, weed, mulch and mow lawns.
- Operate and maintain Parks & Recreation mowing equipment and sprinkler system.
- Supervise employees and volunteers and instruct them in proper gardening techniques and all aspects of general park maintenance.
- Maintain records and prepare written reports, including the regular entry of fieldwork into Access and use of handheld GPS units.
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Manage and supervise volunteer events.
- Coordinate on-site restoration efforts with contractors, park managers, local community groups and other agencies.
- One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: planting, cultivating and caring for
trees, plants, shrubs and lawns; or
- A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York
Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to “1” above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in “1” above.
A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
1. Experience with hand and power tools used in natural resources work a plus.
2. Familiarity with both native and invasive plant species of the northeastern United States.
3. Valid NYS pesticide applicator or technician license.
4. Ability to safely lift 50 lbs. of weight.
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 580059.
Movement in the face of civil service lists is prohibited under civil service law. The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy
Telecommunications device for the deaf: (212) 504-4115
Website: Apply Online