Landscape Stewardship Crew at Refugia Ltd.
Dynamic Opportunity for a Motivated Gardener
Refugia Ltd, a Philadelphia based ecological landscape design-build-landscape stewardship firm, seeks a gardener with 2+ years experience to assist our Landscape Stewardship team and grow with our company. This position offers the opportunity to learn native plant identification and culture as well as direct experience with ecological design and landscape principals. The assistant landscape steward will participate in landscape stewardship services for our diverse array of installed and managed landscapes. Refugia requires a commitment of 20-40 hours per week, with potential for more work during the spring and fall installation season. Flexibility in schedule is a must.
- 3-5, 8 hour days of assisting a landscape stewardship team in native landscape maintenance including: weeding, managing invasive plants, pruning, planting, addressing plant health, applying mulch, fertilizing, aesthetic maintenance and more.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of the team.
- Must be punctual, organized, motivated and diligent .
- Occasionally assist with large scale installations.
- Occasionally assist with organization, potting, weeding, and watering in the greenhouse.
- Communicate with clients.
- Continuing education and training in various protocols.
- 2+ years in landscape and garden maintenance
- A passion for the design, installation, and stewardship of dynamic native landscapes.
Familiarity with native plants and ecological concepts. Must be able to identify native plants
versus invasives on site. We will provide applicable on site and plant identification training.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to follow directions and interest in cooperative and collaborative teamwork
- Ability to take initiative on land stewardship tasks and to diligently carry out the task at hand
- Organization skills
- Punctuality and reliability
Scheduling flexibility is a must. The average work day is an 8 hr day, however some days
may run longer or shorter.
Ability to lift heavy objects (50 lbs), walk on uneven ground, perform strenuous work in heat
and inclement weather, and be physically fit to perform manual landscape work.
Must have a clean driving record, and valid license. Personal vehicle preferred; mileage will
be compensated at the current standard reimbursement rate.
- Ability to problem solve and think adaptively as situations evolve and change.
- Starting compensation: $15.00 to 20.00 /hour, based on experience.
Contact Name: Esther Scanlon