Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $28-$33/hr.
Job type: Full time Year-round
Domino Park Conservancy and Two Trees Management Company are seeking an experienced Lead Gardener to oversee our growing landscape portfolio. This new position is an exciting opportunity for an urban savvy horticulturist to help us maintain a wide array of extraordinary garden spaces. The Lead Gardener will play an integral role in maintaining the horticultural design intent set by Two Trees Management Company and James Corner Field Operations. The Lead Gardener will report to the Director of Horticulture. Domino Park was inspired by the site’s industrial history as a sugar refinery, the park contains a variety of uses and activities, diverse plantings, and many unique landscape features. Above all, we are committed to creating an inclusive space that reflects the diversity of our community.
- Plans and carries out gardening work at a high level of detail.
- Complete the ongoing installation of new plantings and weeding/ pruning of existing plantings.
- Communicates daily with various property managers via slack and email, provides service reports after each service visit.
- Assists with the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and compost tea applications.
- Propagate and grow plant material from seed, cutting and divisions.
- Operates gas/electric blowers, hedgers and other hand-held gardening tools.
- Monitor’s irrigation systems for leaks, hand watering plants as needed in summer months or when establishing new plantings.
- Contribute and complete tasks associated with Domino Park’s innovative compost initiatives.
- Provide input and contribute to horticulture related public programming at Domino Park.
- Monitor and perform maintenance on sedum green roofs.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned.
- 2+ years’ experience with gardening techniques and procedures, including irrigation systems.
- Degree in Horticulture (preferred) certificate or related field.
- Enthusiasm for horticultural design and public space management; and dedicated to the details.
- Hardworking, energetic, self-motivated, with excellent time management skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to convey the mission and goals of the company.
- Comfortable working independently or with a team and outside in all weather conditions.
- Valid New York State drives license.
- Ability to lift or move up to 50 lbs.
- Competitive benefits package, including health care and paid time off.
- Commuter benefits.
- Opportunity for paid professional development.
- Opportunity for performance-based bonus packages.
- On-site parking available (based on park’s needs).
We embrace diversity. We grow as an organization and as individuals. Domino Park is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage candidates from a diverse background to apply for our positions.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Lead Gardener” in the subject line. Come be the future of horticulture at Domino Park and help us elevate our postindustrial gardening style to the next level.
About Two Trees
Two Trees is a family-owned Brooklyn-based real estate developer, best known for its singular role in transforming the Brooklyn neighborhood of DUMBO from a neglected waterfront to a thriving mixed-use community. In addition to building high quality living spaces, the firm has a strong reputation for neighborhood place-making, civic involvement and philanthropy that improves the quality of life in the communities where it builds. Two Trees firmly believes that developers must play a fundamental role in building sustainable communities because people prosper when neighborhoods bloom. Other notable Two Trees projects include 300 Ashland, 60 Water Street, the Wythe Hotel, Jane’s Carousel, and Mercedes House and award-winning Domino Park.
Domino Park Conservancy LLC.