(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $26 - $32/hour
Blooming Beds is the leading horticultural firm for Country Clubs in Northern New Jersey. We are looking for a talented and professional Lead Gardener to join our team. In this hands-on role you will play a key part in our continued growth and will be tasked with leading a small, dedicated crew. We will look to you to bring your experience and keen eye for details to improve each customer’s landscape and provide input on how we can streamline our operations. You will be joining a team of professionals dedicated to providing the highest level of service to our customers. You need to be a natural leader who consistently sets a positive example for others.
The work is a blend of general landscaping activities and detail-oriented gardening work. Our primary focus is maintaining our client’s flowerbeds, foundation plants, borders, gardens, and other spaces where ornamental plants are the focus. Primary daily tasks include weeding, pruning, and trimming. We also install and maintain planters, seasonal plantings, and outdoor decorations. Our comprehensive maintenance service includes a Plant Health Care (PHC) program that requires the use of pesticides and fertilizers on a regular basis.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience
- • in a supervisory role and be able to independently manage a crew in the field. The Lead Gardener is responsible for keeping the crew on pace while delivering the level of quality our clients expect from us.
- • with plant ID and plant care (woody ornamentals, herbaceous plants, ornamental grasses, weed ID, etc.)
- • in garden maintenance following horticultural practices and standards
- • in container gardening (plant & pot selection, installation, and maintenance)
- • in design, layout, and installation of seasonal plantings and holiday decorations
The Lead Gardener is the main point of contact in the field with our clientele and must always carry him/herself in a professional manner. There is administrative work required with this position.
- • be in good physical condition and able to endure frequent bending, squatting, and repetitive motions
- • be able to work on elevated platforms such as step stools, ladders, and scaffolds for extended periods
- • have good customer service skills
- • be willing to work long hours and weekends during the busy season
- • be able to lift and carry 60 pounds repeatedly
- • Have a clean driver’s license and background
Experience & Education
- • 6 years hands-on experience working as a Horticulturist/gardener with a focus on plant care/maintenance
- • 2 years of experience working in a supervisory role.
- • Formal training required; 2-year or 4-year degree in Horticulture, certificate in Horticulture, completion of a Master Gardener program, and/or continuing education courses in Gardening, Landscaping, and Horticulture
Licenses & Certifications
- • Driver’s License required
- • Pesticide License(s) (Category 3A, 3B, 3C (NJ)) a plus
- • Fertilizer License a plus
We work Monday through Friday and some Saturdays March to December.
Contact Name: Laisin Lee