Verdant is a boutique landscape design firm founded in 2001 and headquartered in the Gowanus district in Brooklyn. Our clients range from high residential gardens throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn to boutique hotels and corporate headquarters. Our philosophy is to continually develop new work that challenges conventional design and dynamically integrates existing architecture and the surrounding landscape.
We are seeking a passionate, creative and hard-working individual to join our company as our lead gardener. The ideal candidate will be well versed in working in New York City with a passion for plants and an intimate knowledge of the intricacies of urban landscape maintenance and installation. We require someone with substantial experience working with indoor and outdoor plants, irrigation systems, container gardens, backyards, roof and terraces. The selected applicant will become an integral member of our core team and work closely with our existing clientele and on new large scale installations scheduled for the upcoming season.
- Strong work ethic, including, but not limited to: adhering to a schedule, keeping appointments with clients in a timely manner, following instructions, abiding by company policies and procedures
- Perform general maintenance duties and seasonal landscaping work including: garden openings, cut-backs, pruning, clean-ups, transplanting, leaf removal, planter preparation
- Care for diverse plant materials such as trees, shrubs, climbers, perennials, annuals, herbs, vegetables, grasses, bulbs, and green roofs
- Installation of new projects, including: loading and unloading materials, preparing planters and planting areas, transplanting a variety of plants and trees, etc
- Monitoring plant health, pest & disease issues, and irrigation systems at each site and keeping detailed records. Much of the reporting and communication occurs through the regular use of computers and smart phones.
- Keep inventory and perform maintenance on tools and supplies
- Maintain a professional demeanor and appearance to interact with a high-end clientele
- Demonstrated passion for plants and gardening!
- Formal education and/or minimum 3 years professional experience in the field of horticulture and motivation to expand their knowledge
- Irrigation knowledge and experience, or a willingness to dive in and learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team, and independently/under the supervision of Horticultural Director and Head Designer
- Meticulous and detail oriented, and having a high standard for quality and cleanliness working with high end clientele & properties
- In good health and physical condition, with the ability to work in all types of weather. Ability to lift at least 50 lbs, climb ladders and access sites via cranes
- Knowledge of neighborhoods throughout NYC area and MTA buses & subway
To apply, please submit a resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about our company and view our projects, please visit our website: http://verdantny.com/