(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Compensation: $20 - $22 per hour
Clinton Housing Development Corporation (CHDC) is a non-profit organization committed to developing permanent affordable housing throughout the Hell’s Kitchen and Chelsea neighborhoods of Manhattan. Since 1973, CHDC has been equally committed to developing permanent public open space and garden infrastructure alongside its affordable housing portfolio. The horticulture team at CHDC installs and maintains green spaces throughout CHDC’s nearly 30 properties, including rooftop gardens, courtyards, terraces, backyards, and numerous sidewalk plantings. CHDC is also instrumental in creating and supporting several community gardens, city parks and other community partnerships.
Under the supervision of the Director of Horticulture, the Lead Horticulturist will assess all planted areas throughout the year and be responsible for managing vendor accounts, sourcing gardening materials and coordinating garden maintenance vendors (irrigation, iron work, pest management, etc.). During the planting and growing seasons, the Lead Horticulturist will supervise a team of Gardeners to achieve departmental goals throughout CHDC’s portfolio.
- Under the supervision of the Director of Horticulture, maintain CHDC’s garden properties and manage members of the Horticulture team; tasks include planting, weeding, watering, mulching, pruning, pest management, fertilization, pruning, weeding/clean up, planting annuals and bulbs, dividing/transplanting, leaf removal and other tasks as necessary.
- In coordination with the Director of Horticulture, place plant orders and coordinate deliveries with nurseries and suppliers.
- Maintain records of plantings, supplies and orders.
- Monitor irrigation systems and contracts.
- Observe tree conditions and coordinate with vendors for all contracted work.
- Maintain indoor plants and install seasonal holiday displays as directed.
- Supervise/perform light maintenance associated with CHDC’s garden spaces, including litter removal, painting, cleaning/organizing tools, outdoor furniture care and repairing irrigation/other garden features.
- Assist with community-wide events in CHDC’s public green spaces, including two weekend community volunteer planting days.
- Interact with tenants and members of the public in a courteous manner.
- 2-3 years’ experience in gardening and design of public spaces, some portion of which was spent supervising staff.
- Familiarity with planting and gardening in an urban environment
- Energetic, motivated, and hardworking
- Ability to take direction, communicate and work well with a diverse stakeholder community.
- Ability to achieve efficiencies in time management, often working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate regularly with coworkers to ensure a productive and harmonious working environment.
For more information visit us at www.clintonghousing.org
Clinton Housing Development Company