Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $55,000-75,000
An Estate in Westchester County, NY is looking for a Live-in Groundskeeper to maintain their gardens and grounds to the highest standards with a focus on ecological and sustainable practices. Working under the general supervision of the Estate Manager, and in collaboration with other staff, the Groundskeeper handles various tasks such as gardening, trail maintenance, grounds work, equipment upkeep, and other private estate tasks. The Groundskeeper is expected to supervise gardening crews, work across internal departments and outside contractors to coordinate and advance the planning, assigning and completion of grounds and garden related tasks. The role requires professionalism, reliability, and respect for privacy and confidentiality. This is an active hands-on position. The position requires work in office environments as well as outdoor work in all weather conditions. The ideal candidate for this position is a self starter who will be able to come in and take the gardens and grounds to the next level.
- Responsible for lawn care including pest and disease ID, mowing, string trimming.
- Monitor/Repair and report issues within or having to do with deer fence and property.
- Responsible for the long-term care of woody shrubs through pruning. Must have high pruning skills.
- Assist Estate Manager in the development, management, and execution of a seasonal garden maintenance program and participate in ongoing progress reporting of set work plan.
- Responsible for submitting a detailed reports for the coming week and effectively communicating completed work and upcoming schedule to the project team for assigned projects.
- Responsible for overseeing and coordinating maintenance work by outside contractors and preparing work schedules to meet daily and weekly workloads while continuously working to evaluate and improve processes to enhance efficiency, productivity, and quality in alignment with company goals.
- Manage multiple projects to ensure each assigned job is being executed with a sense of urgency, while adhering to high standard of horticulture, cost parameters and man hour budgets.
- Water Supply and Irrigation system seasonal set up repair, troubleshooting from water source connection to drip emitters to setting timers.
- Work tasks relating to tropical plant collections.
- Seasonal tasks related to property upkeep. Ex includes blowing path, keeping pavers free of weeds, organization and cleaning of work areas, seasonal furniture moves.
- Cross over tasks relating to services for the primary owners and the property. Ex: trash removal, wood splitting, pest control
- Work with employees in recording keeping. Ex. Inventory sheets, IPM and fertilization logs
- Snow removal including plowing.
- Maintain inventory and ensure proper care/storage of all tools, equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Ability to provide both oral and written communication that is easily understood and direct in its content.
- Ability to engage in critical thinking skills that allow for prioritizing issues, coordinating multiple projects, and problem solve.
- Knowledge of computer equipment, Google suite and Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends, holidays and respond to emergency situations including but not limited to storms, snow events, utility outages, and infrastructure failures as needed.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and perform heavy physical labor on a daily basis in all weather conditions.
- Valid Driver’s License that must be maintained for duration of employment.
- High standard of workmanship and presentation.
This job description is not comprehensive; duties and responsibilities may change anytime with or without notice.
- (3) years minimum experience supervising others required. Supervisory and managerial experience running a maintenance crew.
- (6) years minimum experience in the field of landscape management and/or degree in horticulture related field
- Strong prioritization, organizational and time management skills, with the ability to multitask, including the ability to quickly identify problems and efficiently solve them.
- Skilled in hand pruning of shrubs and small trees.
- Demonstrate an understanding of aesthetics and garden design, with specialty in natural landscapes.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of perennial & annual plants in zones 4-6, including their identification, growing habits, bloom times, sizes, preferred soil types, water, pests, diseases, and fertilization requirements.
Benefits: live on housing provided and required, utilities paid, (10) Vacation Days, additional PTO after 5 Years, Paid Holidays and Sick Time, Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K
FMC Maple Ave LLC
Contact Name: K Spellman