Maintenance Mechanic I (Grounds)
(Paid Opportunities)Participates in landscape improvements, including grading, planting and pruning or removal of trees, shrubs and the installation special design shrub and floral beds, to improve the appearance of College property;
- Mows and removes leaves to maintain grounds appearance; and sands & plows for safety;
- Maintains planted material by watering, re-seeding, and performing fertilizing, pest, disease and weed control, etc., ensuring that the plantings remain healthy and attractive;
- Plants, mows, and prunes trees & hedges, weeds, cleans up leaves and litter, etc. in order to maintain the appearance and health of plantings;
- Performs routine and emergency repairs and maintenance, both scheduled and in response to emergency situations, as required;
- Maintains and repairs roads, walkways, curbs, etc., ensuring safety; and cleans & repairs catch basins, in order to ensure effective operation;
- All other duties, as assigned.
The successful candidate must possess:
- A minimum of three years of experience in gardening, landscaping or grounds keeping OR
- Completion of an appropriate 2 year technical school course.
- Possession of a valid New York State Operators License appropriate to the equipment operated at the time of appointment and maintenance of the same while in the title.
Depending on the work assignment, the incumbent must meet the standards of OSHA regulation 1910.134 Respiratory Protection and will be required to meet federal, state and local standards with respect to health and safety. Depending on the work assignment, the incumbent may also be required to be a Certified Pesticide Applicator in New York State, within the appropriate category at the time of appointment and maintain the same while in the title.
Westchester Community College
Website: Apply Online