Start Date: September 28th (ASAP)
Little Island is a beautiful, welcoming and unique public park located in Hudson River Park at 13th/14th St. Opening in spring 2021, Little Island invites all New Yorkers and visitors to experience a new public space that is designed to inspire imagination and creativity and provide visitors of all ages with a one-of-a-kind relationship with nature and art.
Maintenance Supervisor Little Island seeks an experienced Maintenance Supervisor to join the team. This position will be responsible for upholding Little Island’s standards for excellence and safety. The successful candidate will have a well-rounded background in diverse trades as they will oversee the maintenance program for Little Island’s facility, which includes onsite performance spaces, restrooms, and actor support spaces. This position is full-time and overtime eligible, and reports to the Park and Facilities Operations Manager
- Lead the development and implementation of a parkwide inspection program for all areas of the park to be completed on a routine basis. Coordinate such programs with other Operations departments at Little Island including maintenance, custodial, and horticulture.
- Perform highly skilled mechanical maintenance work as required, specifically in the installation, operation, maintenance, modification, service and repair of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and irrigation systems.
- Inspect and test elements of Little Island’s systems to locate and diagnose faults and malfunctions, troubleshoot and/or perform required repairs or emergency response as needed, and provide an estimate of repair or replacement costs when items are beyond the capability to perform.
- Plan and communicate preventive and reactive maintenance activities, as well as supervise maintenance technicians in the performance of emergency and routine maintenance and repairs on facilities, equipment, and systems.
- Support with the maintenance of park equipment, furniture, and fixtures. Includes two permanent food and beverage kiosks and smaller food carts. Create a preventive maintenance plan and coordinate repairs and maintenance as needed.
- Provide assistance and training to a team of 3 maintenance technicians on their responsibilities and support the troubleshooting of technical issues.
- Assess task completion and provide corrective feedback to staff on their performance on an ongoing basis, specifically prioritizing the safety of employees and visitors.
- Establishes and enforces work methods, procedures, and standards. Assures that maintenance activities are in compliance with all laws, regulations, policies, and safety standards.
- Manage punch list and warranties. Coordinate with outside contracted specialists to complete repairs, adjustments, and punch list items as needed.
- Collaborate cross-departmentally to make sure Operations staff are trained in equipment and tool use in a timely, safe, and effective manner.
- Collaborate with custodial, production, food & beverage, and horticulture teams to problem-solve.
- Participate in seasonal maintenance activities including water start-up and winterization and snow removal using a snow shovel or electric snow broom or snowplow.
- Create daily, weekly, and seasonal work schedules and meet regularly with Park Operations and Facilities Manager to review current job assignments, projects, ongoing work, contractual work and all maintenance related issues.
- Supervise Maintenance Technicians, assigned trades, and personnel as required with minimum supervision.
- Have a demonstrated working knowledge of basic computer programs such as internet browsers, e-mail applications, and experience with or ability to learn to use a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS or workorder system).
- Maintain a professional and hospitable demeanor in high pressure circumstances.
What You Bring
- Experience supervising a diverse field-based facilities team
- A passion for teaching and developing staff
- A hardworking, energetic, and self-starting attitude and a dedication to the details
- Experience prioritizing safety and an excellent standard of care
- Enthusiasm for public space, experience working in a public or outdoor space a plus
- Ability to transport or lift items weighing up to 40 lbs, as well as set-up and breakdown materials and equipment into various positions within the park and our storage facilities
- Advanced degree or certificate in facilities management, or equivalent experience.
- Possession of relevant FDNY Certificates of Fitness a plus.
- Eligibility to work in the US
What to Expect
- Little Island will be open year-round, from 6am-1am daily.
- Little Island has 3 distinct performances spaces hosting a wide variety of artistic programs throughout the season including a 700-seat amphitheater
- Park employees may be asked to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Park employees will spend time onsite at Little Island, navigating the entire park and interacting with park visitors to ensure operations are running effectively. Little Island is ADA compliant, and park employees are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for each other and our park’s visitors.
- Little Island’s Headquarters, located near the park, provides an open floor plan office, shared work areas and kitchen, a locker room, rehearsal space, and storage for the park. It is a dynamic and multi-use space where employees and artists can collaborate, connect, and unwind in between shifts, meetings and events.
- Competitive salary (commensurate with experience)
- 10 days vacation, 7 sick, 3 personal days
- Medical, dental & vision care
- Contribution into a 401(k) retirement plan
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Basic Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability
How to apply Visit our website www.littleisland.org/employment to submit your application via Submittable. Please note that you will have to make a Submittable account. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please let us know at email@example.com
Little Island is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Website: Apply Online