Monitoring & Assessment Crew Member
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: New Hire $20.98/hr. Incumbent $24.13/hr
NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We look after 600,000 street trees, and two million more in parks. The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem.
Employees who work for 6 months or longer are eligible for healthcare benefits.
- Under general supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment provide technical and field assistance in the restoration and management of natural areas parkland across New York City.
• Assist in conducting ecological and environmental monitoring in the City’s streams, wetlands, grasslands, and forests.
• Conduct vegetation monitoring, including plant identification in restored and existing ecosystems.
• Accurately locate study areas using a GPS or other handheld device and use ArcGIS software to map data.
• Document, download, and edit field data daily or as needed on handheld devices or paper datasheets.
• Assist in data entry, QA/QC, and analysis as needed.
• Prepare maps, figures, and final reports to submit to senior staff and collaborators.
- High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" above.
1. Associate or bachelor’s degree in environmental science, ecology, natural resource management, or a related field.
2. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to work in a team.
3. Comfortable with Microsoft office programs, including MS Word, Excel, and Access.
4. Comfortable with ArcGIS software, including handheld GPS units.
5. Field experience conducting ecological monitoring, including knowledge of NYC native and invasive flora
6. Demonstrated commitment to public service and the environment.
7. Valid New York State driver’s license.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required or employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates within 90 days of hire.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply email resume and cover letter to Destiny Reeves (email@example.com).
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $61.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.