Native Plant Production Associate
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $20.98/hr. Incumbent $24.13/hr
NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We look after 600,000 street trees, and two million more in parks. The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem.
Employees who work for 6 months or longer are eligible for healthcare benefits. All staff will be provided with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Under general supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, assist with all aspects of greenhouse plant production: weeding, watering, fertilizing; transplanting, preparing soil mixes and pulling of stock to fill orders.
- • Support all aspects of seed production: seed collection and harvesting, processing, cleaning, storage and inventory.
- • Assist with wild seed collections making off-site visits to natural areas - recognize species, determine seed maturity and follow all protocols.
- • Perform inventory and record keeping, research and implementation of best practices in a growing program to promote the use of seed for restoration.
- • Assist in all aspects of nursery operations seasonally, including yard maintenance and operation of small machinery.
- • Professionally engage with public when on site for tours and plant pick-ups. Interact with community members when making site visits and coordinate with land stewards when making seed collections.
- • Enter field work information into spreadsheets or web-based databases in a timely manner after work is completed.
- • Interact with staff and the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- • Under direction of a manager, supervise seasonal employees and volunteers.
- High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in environmental science, ecology, natural resource management, or a related field.
- Experience with plant identification and an interest in native plants of the region.
- Experience with hand and power tools and operation and basic maintenance of farm machinery including tractors, implements, and seed cleaning machines.
- 4. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to work in a team.
- 5. Comfortable with Microsoft office programs, including MS Word, Excel and Access.
- 6. Field experience conducting ecological monitoring, including knowledge of NYC native and invasive flora
- 7. Demonstrated commitment to public service and the environment.
- 8. Ability to work outside and perform physical labor with little supervision
- 9. A valid New York State driver’s license.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates within 90 days of hire. Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $61.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
HOW TO APPLY Email resume and cover letter to Rachel.Chaiken@parks.nyc.gov or mail to: Rachel Chaiken, NYC Parks-Greenbelt Native Plant Center 3808 Victory Blvd, Staten Island, NY 10314
Parks & City Employees: Include your ERN on your cover letter and resume. All candidates please indicate which position you are applying for.
NYC Parks-Forestry, Horticulture, and Natural Resources Division
Website: Apply Online