Natural Areas Gardener
Compensation: Hiring Rate: $42,146 Incumbent Rate: $48,468
1. One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: planting, cultivating and caring for trees, plants, shrubs and lawns; or
2. A certificate from a horticulture or botanic program containing college-level courses, such as programs offered by the New York Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, etc.; or
3. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to“1” above. Thirty semester credits from an accredited college, at least fifteen of which must be in horticulture,agriculture, agronomy, plant pathology, botany, landscape design or architecture, entomology, forestry, floriculture, plant production and/or crop management, may be substituted for the one year of the work experience described in “1” above.
A motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
1. Bachelor or graduate degree with emphasis in botany, ecology, forestry and/or wildlife management or related fields.
2. Experience with hand and power tools used in natural resources work a plus.
3. Familiarity with both native and invasive plant species of the northeastern United States.
4. Ability to safely lift 50 lbs. of weight.
5. Valid New York State pesticide applicator or technician license.
The Pelham Bay Park Administrator’s Office oversees the largest and one of the most ecologically diverse parks in New York City. The office is tasked with preserving, managing, and restoring the parks’ forests, wetlands and meadows. Natural Areas management in the park includes activities including invasive species control, native species planting, and erosion control. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks a variety of woodland restoration
- Under supervision from the park’s Natural Areas Manager, perform restoration activities, including identifying and protecting native species, identifying and controlling invasive species, site clearing, planting and working with volunteers, and maintaining daily records of work.
- Assist in the horticultural maintenance of ornamental landscapes, seasonal displays and lawn areas with duties including planting of trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants, watering, weeding, mulching, pruning and mowing.
- Operate cars, trucks, tractors and other types of motorized vehicles, including the use of 2-cycle equipment such as hedge-trimmers and chainsaws, application of herbicide, cutting and carrying woody debris, chipping, maintaining planting sites, equipment and nursery space.
- Train and supervise volunteers and interns as needed.
- Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
Salary: Hiring Rate: $42,146
Incumbent Rate: $48,468 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 08/23/19
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID# 398541
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
New York City Parks & Recreation
Website: Apply Online