Natural Areas & Volunteer Program Garden Technician
Riverside Park Conservancy is looking for a full-time Natural Areas & Volunteer Program Garden Technician to work year-round — a great opportunity for someone looking to gain hands on horticultural experience.
Riverside Park Conservancy is the non-profit conservancy that supports the New York City Parks Department in the care and restoration of Riverside Park, one of New York’s flagship parks and a registered Scenic Landmark.
About the Role
Riverside Park Conservancy is looking for an entry level garden technician to both work in our Forever Wild Bird Sanctuary alongside our Natural Areas Steward and to provide necessary support for our Grassroots Volunteer Program. This garden technician will perform physically demanding work, work with volunteers, interact well with the public, and be positive, flexible, and an excellent communicator. This is a new position and the duties noted below may expand as the role evolves. Great opportunity for someone who is flexible and enjoys taking on new opportunities.
What you will do
• Assist with maintaining and advancing horticultural and restoration areas, according to Parks Department standards and Conservancy priorities.
• Create and carry out work plans, as directed by the Natural Areas Steward and Volunteer Program Manager.
• Learn to identify plants and their maintenance needs: in particular, native woodland plant species.
• Working with the Natural Areas Steward, care for assigned gardens and landscape areas, adhering to and sustaining approved planting plans on appropriate seasonal schedule.
• Work closely with the Grassroots Volunteer Program. Plan and carry out logistics relating to volunteer needs (plant deliveries, debris removal, etc.).
• Run support on group volunteer projects, including removing debris and managing inventory of volunteer supplies, tools, and materials.
• Provide administrative support for our Teen Corps Horticulture Internship Program (experiential summer program for teens interested in learning basic horticulture) and help run projects for Teen Corps with Natural Areas Steward.
• Collect and remove trash and debris; sweep paths and stairs; install and maintain temporary fencing; remove snow and ice; operate and properly maintain tools and equipment.
• 1 year of experience (including volunteer and internship experience) in horticultural and/or hands-on environmental work, including planting and caring for plants, shrubs, trees, and lawns, and general grounds keeping OR minimum 2 years’ relevant work experience that demonstrates transferable skills to this role.
• Preferred: at least 15 credits in horticulture or a related field from an accredited organization.
• Additional areas of education or specialization such as native plants or restoration experience considered a plus.
• Communication: Must have a professional and positive demeanor and work well with the public, coworkers and NYC Parks Department. Good interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
• Collaboration: Ability to work as part of a team and willingness to be very hands-on with the performance of a variety of assigned tasks. Must have a can-do attitude. Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and new opportunities.
• Characteristics: The ideal candidate is honest, a team player, a good listener, calm under pressure, and is accountable for their tasks. Strong organizational skills with excellent follow-through to get the job done.
• Values & Culture Fit: Demonstrated passion for Riverside Park’s mission and values.
• Working Conditions: Must have a valid driver’s license. Ability to work a 7:00 am to 3:30 pm work day. Be able to lift 40 pounds. Work outdoors, maneuver outdoors (in all weather conditions) on the 400- acre facility’s hills, grass, and gravel pathways and difficult terrains. Flexibility to work during weekends and infrequently evenings for special events.
Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Natural Areas & Volunteer Program Garden Technician” Only candidates being considered will be contacted.
Riverside Park Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services or any other category protected by law.