Natural Lands Steward
The Hay, Honey Farm is a private garden/arboretum in Bernardsville, New Jersey. Created since 1990, the land has been farmed for over two hundred years. Deer fenced garden areas cover about twenty-five acres, and contain collections of both ornamental and native plants, including a rhododendron garden, collections of maple, oak, holly, and dwarf conifers, flowering shrubs,perennial borders and a vegetable garden. The remaining two hundred acres of the property are roughly equally divided between open fields and wooded areas,and consist of hay fields, pastures, woodlots, and riparian buffers.
The natural lands steward will be primarily responsible for improving and maintaining the ecosystem and ecological health of areas outside the deer fence, including woodlots, riparian buffers and conservation areas, with a focus on the control of invasive species, and establishment of sustainable cover. The steward’s work will also include appropriate new plantings in those areas, managing firewood production and sale, and setting and executing goals to meet existing forest management plans in coordination with property managers and owners.
Candidate should be:
- Goal oriented, self-directed, and attentive to details, with good time management, organizational, and record-keeping skills.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and prioritize assignments to accommodate weather conditions, seasonal changes, and needs of special projects. Able to take direction well, problem solve, and communicate effectively with both supervisors and subordinates.
- Able and comfortable performing physically challenging tasks, working independently or leading a crew, outdoors in all weather conditions, while maintaining a safe work environment.
- Able to scout for/ recognize common invasive plant species, insects and diseases and use identification keys to identify existing and incoming invasive species and act on findings promptly. Must have or acquire any necessary pesticide permits to perform best pest control practices.
- Willing to be flexible in hours worked to complete tasks as the seasons and weather dictate. Some weekend work and early/late hours are likely.
- Able to use and maintain necessary power equipment, such as tractor mounted brush mowers, brush blades, chain saws, as well as various hand tools.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be comfortable with the operation of 4WDvehicles.
This is a year round, full time position.
Candidates should hold a degree in Forestry, Environmental Science, or related field, or have an equivalent body of knowledge, and three years’ experience in the field. Our compensation package is competitive and negotiable to the level of benefits offered. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Our compensation package is competitive and negotiable to the level of benefits offered. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hay, Honey Farm
Contact Name: Hilary Clayton