Natural Resources Landscape Architect
(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $37.09/hour (21 hours per week)
NYC Parks is the steward of nearly 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. The Division of Environment and Planning aims to protect, restore, and expand New York City's green spaces and natural areas to maximize their benefits for environmental and community health and resilience. The Natural Resources Group within Environment and Planning manages over 10,000 acres of natural areas across the five boroughs, including forests, grasslands, and wetlands, and has secured tens of millions of dollars of grant from state, federal and private sources over the past decades to fund the restoration and management across these
ecosystems. The candidate hired for this position is eligible for healthcare!
- Under general supervision, serve as natural resources landscape architect in lead or supporting roles on projects of appropriate complexity focused on ecological restoration, green infrastructure, and other natural resource capital projects.
• Collaborate with physical scientists and natural resource managers to develop project designs that restore ecological function with minimal external inputs and limited disruption to existing landscapes.
• Provide project-based oversight to consultant design teams and junior staff on design projects.
• Conduct research on complex and important landscape architectural matters.
• Present design plans to Deputy and Borough Commissioners, work with Chiefs and Directors, and provide information and solve design related problems.
• Review engineering structures and coordinate closely with engineering staff and borough operations to help ensure function and feasible design development.
• Develop specifications, cost estimates and estimates of quantities for the proposed work.
• Prepare construction documents and monitor construction of these features.
• Provide drawings and other materials to Permits Coordinator. Ensure that all required permits are obtained.
• Review interagency and interdivisional projects and designs with impacts on natural resources.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
1. A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional, or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work. NOTE: Current New York State (NYS) Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of employment. Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal NYS registration is obtained prior to hire. This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Experience with interdisciplinary coordination during design (Ecology, Hydrology, Environmental Engineering, Planning).
2. Knowledge of any/all the following specialized disciplines: green infrastructure, sustainable design, urban forestry, horticulture, urban
design, environmental science and engineering, stormwater permitting and compliance.
3. Computer literacy, including knowledge of MS Suite, Adobe Suite, CAD, GIS.
4. A commitment to teamwork and an integrated approach to project delivery.
5. Driver license valid in New York State.
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject
HOW TO APPLY
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/.
Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 578411. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS,
go to Careers and search for Job ID# 578411.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 578411 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants: Natural Resources Landscape Architect or go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 578411
Website: Apply Online