Natural Resources Landscape Architect
Compensation: $77,921 per year
NYC Parks is the steward of nearly 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. The Division of Environment and Planning aims to protect, restore, and expand New York City's green spaces and natural areas to maximize their benefits for environmental and community health and resilience. The Natural Resources Group within Environment and Planning manages over 10,000 acres of natural areas across the five boroughs, including forests, grasslands, and wetlands, and has secured tens of millions of dollars of grant from state, federal and private sources over the past decades to fund the restoration and management across these ecosystems.
- Under general supervision, serve as natural resources landscape architect in lead or supporting roles on projects of appropriate complexity focused on ecological restoration, green infrastructure, and other natural resource capital projects.
- Collaborate with physical scientists and natural resource managers to develop project designs that restore ecological function with minimal
external inputs and limited disruption to existing landscapes.
- Provide project-based oversight to consultant design teams and junior staff on design projects.
- Conduct research on complex and important landscape architectural matters.
- Present design plans to Deputy and Borough Commissioners, work with Chiefs and Directors, and provide information and solve design
- Review engineering structures and coordinate closely with engineering staff and borough operations to help ensure function and feasible
- Develop specifications, cost estimates and estimates of quantities for the proposed work.
- Prepare construction documents and monitor construction of these features.
- Provide drawings and other materials to the Permits Coordinator. Ensure that all required permits are obtained.
- Review interagency and interdivisional projects and designs with impacts on natural resources.
This vacancy is only open to 1) current permanent city employees serving in the Landscape Architect civil service title or 2) on leave from the title or 3) permanent city employees in or on leave from a comparable title with a valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Experience with interdisciplinary coordination during design (Ecology, Hydrology, Environmental Engineering, Planning).
- Knowledge of any/all the following specialized disciplines: green infrastructure, sustainable design, urban forestry, horticulture, urban design, environmental science and engineering, stormwater permitting and compliance.
- Computer literacy, including knowledge of MS Suite, Adobe Suite, CAD, GIS.
- A commitment to teamwork and an integrated approach to project delivery.
- Driver license valid in New York State.
How to Apply
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 587057. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 587057.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 587057 on your cover letter and resume.
Website: Apply Online