New York Botanical Garden Instructor
NYBG’s Adult Education Department seeks a knowledgeable, enthusiastic instructor to teach Sustainable Garden Design, the capstone course in our Horticulture Track 4 Certificate Program in which students synthesize the knowledge they have learned in 150+ hours of coursework at NYBG.In this studio-oriented course, students learn the fundamental principles of sustainable garden design, including how to analyze a site, how to create schematic and finished planting plans, and how to combine a wide variety of plants in a garden for multi-season interest, habitat preservation, and pollinator attraction. They become familiar with various garden styles and study how to effectively use color, height, and texture when selecting specific garden plants. Students demonstrate their mastery of these subjects through visual presentations, discussions, and design projects.
- Develop and modify curriculum for the 20-hour Sustainable Garden Design course based on the current curriculum in coordination with NYBG’s Horticulture Program Coordinator.
- Teach the 20-hour course 1-2 times per year. Traditionally it has been scheduled once in the fall (Oct-Dec) and once in the winter (Feb-April). It runs with three hour sessions once a week for seven weeks. One session per year should run on a weekend day or in the evening to accommodate our students with full-time jobs.
- Maintain strong communication with NYBG administration & students.
- Use an online portal to take attendance and enter grades.
- 3-5 years of experience designing gardens with multi-season interest and ecological benefits
- A strong understanding of native plant communities, what plantings benefit pollinators, landscape design principles, including how to design given existing site conditions, is required.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are required.
- Strong customer service experience are required.
- Teaching experience is preferred.
- Comfort with basic classroom technology is preferred.
Qualified candidates should email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
New York Botanical Garden