Brooklyn Grange, the world’s leading soil-based green roofing & rooftop farming business, seeks a logistics and systems-oriented individual to support the operations of our Design/Build department. Our Design/Build department installs a wide range of green spaces throughout New York City, and provides garden maintenance services tending to these sites and other landscaped spaces. The right candidate is able to strategically navigate the big picture of our Design/Build department, while also understanding the details that make it come together smoothly. This requires an understanding of the financial, logistic, infrastructural, and people related aspects of the Design/Build department. The Design/Build Operations Manager will be responsible for coordinating and supporting various projects across multiple client sites, and maintaining systems to promote communication, efficiencies, and resource management for this multi-faceted and fast-paced department. The Design/Build Operations Manager’s role will involve procurement of plants and materials, team scheduling, overall administrative and team-related support, including onsite support and project management support. This person will work closely with the Director of Design/Build, as well as the Landscape Designer, Project Managers, Head Gardener, and Garden Managers.
The Design/Build Operations Manager is an experienced and detail-oriented manager, who is skilled at overseeing multiple projects and the implementation of new and established systems. Experience in the construction or landscaping industry is preferred, and a keen interest in green roofs, horticulture, and sustainability is required. The position requires strong oversight of company resources – including our team, our plants, our materials, and our information – and an ability to execute on multiple priorities at the same time. The Design/Build Operations Manager will be a fundamental source of support for our Design/Build team and an important liaison with vendors, contractors, and clients as needed. The Design/Build Operations Manager will also model and help ensure a culture of kindness, respect, support, and inclusivity for our team, as well as for the clients and community with whom we engage.
The Design/Build (D/B) Operations Manager will report to the Director of Design/Build.
SCHEDULE: The D/B Operations Manager will work full time throughout the year, typically Monday-Friday, approximately 40 hours per week, with early mornings as-needed.
ABOUT THE COMPANY: Brooklyn Grange is the world’s largest green roof farming business. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities. Additionally, we host a wide range of programming & events on our rooftops in Brooklyn, NY and LIC, Queens.
All three of our departments—our Design/Build department, our Farm department, and our Programming & Events department—are part of our close-knit “farmily,” so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable, delicious, and equitable place to live.
- Serve as critical operations, logistics, procurement, and team support manager for the Design/Build department. Help develop and improve upon key administrative and organizational systems.
- Help maintain project management tracking system for Installations team and ensure all phases of sales, installation, and project closeout are timely tended to (e.g., track phase of project, help coordinate project calendars, ensure project closeout and punch-list completion, collection of payments, lien waivers, etc.)
- Assist with onsite installations and project management for upcoming installations, particularly within the first 6 months of the role. Gain comprehensive knowledge of Design/Build sales, procurement, and installations processes. Projects include extensive/intensive green roofs, native meadows, ornamental gardens, container gardens, greenwalls, and other green landscapes.
- Help coordinate procurement of plants, tools, and materials for Installations projects and develop improved efficiencies in plant procurement between Install and Maintenance teams. Ensure that teams have necessary tools for upcoming work, and coordinate vehicles for the week.
- Identify key vendors and establish repeat-relationships; develop systems for quick materials estimates and cost updates.
- Have knowledge of, or be able to quickly acquire horticultural knowledge of, Eastern plants of zones 4 through 7b including: plant ID’s, growth habits, bloom times, preferred soil types, etc.
- Implement improved staffing and scheduling plans. Coordinate team schedules and support D/B Managers with crew-coverage and cross-department collaboration, as well as oversight of timekeeping best practices.
- Facilitate people-management support for Design/Build Managers, in collaboration with the Director of Design/Build and the People Operations team.
- Facilitate monthly look-aheads with Design/Build Managers. Participate in weekly team meetings.
- Work closely with the Director of Design/Build and collaborate with and support the Design/Build Managers to ensure a successful D/B season.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure the smooth operation of the business and to find opportunities for support and synergy across the company.
- Assist with other administrative and onsite support for the Design/Build team as-needed.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Has 3+ years experience in landscaping, construction management, project management, or operations management, with prior onsite landscaping or gardening experience required. Existing knowledge of green roof systems preferred; if no prior experience, must have a keen interest in learning.
- Is detail-oriented, highly organized, and systems-oriented, with an eye for efficiency. Is adept at creating SOPs that can be easily followed, and can manage multiple ever-changing pieces of information. Can multitask and prioritize workload.
- Is well versed in project management and project timelines. Can help fellow managers and team track project milestones and daily/weekly tasks, and ensure successful execution of a wide variety of work.
- Can translate financial metrics and big picture goals into day-to-day operations – such as staffing needs, supplies, vendor partnerships, and other on-the-ground needs for successful execution of green space installations and garden maintenance. Can navigate budgets, costs, margins, and think strategically about financial goals.
- Has prior experience with procurement and coordinating purchases across projects or teams – tools, materials, plants, etc.
- Has prior horticultural experience (preferred), or has a demonstrated interest in and ability to learn about Eastern plants of zones 4 through 7b including: plant ID’s, growth habits, bloom times, preferred soil types, etc.
- Is self-motivated and independent, has a strong work ethic, and can learn quickly.
- Is also collaborative, thrives as part of a team, and is a focused people-leader with strong management skills. Can provide clear expectations and feedback to team, while supporting growth and training opportunities for others.
- Is a clear communicator, both in writing and in conversation, and demonstrates the ability to engage effectively with people who have different communication styles/needs. Can comfortably communicate information to fellow managers, crews, subcontractors and vendors, clients, and Brooklyn Grange leadership.
- Timely and professionally responds to emails and text messages, and proactively reaches out to other team members when needed.
- Is adaptable to working in a variety of settings, and is a creative thinker with a penchant for problem-solving.
- Can navigate Google Drive, MS Excel, record and enter data into spreadsheets, etc.
- Demonstrates a passion for sustainability, a concern for equity, and is motivated to create more beautiful green spaces that center greater respect for people and planet.
- Is comfortable working outdoors in any weather.
- Can lift 50 lbs. repeatedly, and can squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time.
- Driver’s license and clean driving record preferred.
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING:
- A progressive work environment as part of a small team
- Annual salary of $64,542
- Paid Time Off & Paid Holidays
- Participation in the company’s Simple IRA plan, Health Benefit, Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays and other benefits as eligible
- Discounted Employee CSA offering
- Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops, and access to NYC’s most delicious vegetables when in season
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Design/Build Operations Manager Application”
- Include a resume and cover letter
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.