Compensation: $40-65K commensurate with experience
Jane Gil Gardens (JGG) has been designing, installing, and maintaining distinguished properties and experiential landscapes for over three decades. Our gardens provide year-round interest and showcase the most beautiful trees, shrubs, and blooms. At Jane Gil, diversity and inclusion are at the core of our values. We endeavor to create a welcoming and inclusive environment, where all customers and employees feel valued and respected. Please visit www.janegilgardens.com for more information.
As an Operations Manager, you will play a pivotal role in overseeing and optimizing the daily operations of JGG. The Operations Manager works under the supervision of the Senior Director of Operations and the Principal & CEO. The Operations Manager directly supervises Crew Leads and Gardeners. This is a full-time position serving as the main point of contact for clients and ensuring the delivery of quality gardening services offered by Jane Gil Gardens Inc. Travel is required to our service areas, primarily within but not limited to the NYC metro area: Manhattan, Bronx, and
- Have a global understanding of client expectations, site requirements, and operational logistics.
- Continuously evaluate and improve processes to enhance efficiency, productivity, and quality in alignment with company goals.
- Foster strong relationships and effective communication with the management team, vendors, and clients to ensure seamless coordination and alignment of operational activities.
- Attend management and client meetings.
- Lead and motivate a diverse team of Gardeners and Crew Leads, providing guidance, coaching, and performance feedback.
- Foster a collaborative and high-performance culture to drive employee engagement and development.
- Regularly monitor performance and implement corrective action to attain the desired results as it relates to plants, people, and processes.
- Establish and enforce quality control measures to meet or exceed client standards.
- Demonstrate an understanding of aesthetics and garden design.
- Ensure each job site is left in pristine condition, with proper care given to planting, weeding, pruning, watering, training, fertilization, and pest and disease control as needed.
Reporting and Documentation:
- Maintain accurate documentation of processes, procedures, and policies.
- Promptly complete required operational reports and tracking by utilizing designated resources.
Budgeting and Cost Control:
- Collaborate with finance and accounting teams to ensure operational tasks are within budget, including time and attendance, billable tasks, material and supply procurement, etc.
- Implement cost control measures while maintaining high-quality standards.
- Identify potential operational risks and develop mitigation plans.
- Ensure compliance with regulations and promote a culture of workplace safety.
- Monitor and manage resources, including personnel, equipment, and materials, to ensure optimal utilization and timely delivery of products or services. This includes staffing personnel and materials efficiently for jobs.
- Generate nursery orders, perform nursery visits, and source materials.
- Coordinate and collaborate with vendors and teams to maintain inventory levels and ensure company vehicles and tools are properly organized and maintained at end of day.
Operational Planning and Execution:
- Communicate and coordinate work plans and site visits to team members, vendors, and clients.
- Perform job site planning and walkthroughs, ensuring the team is aware of all tasks to be completed and all materials and tools are available and accounted for at the beginning and end of each job.
- Execute and lead the installation, de-installation, demolition, and maintenance of garden areas to meet client and Company quality standards.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of perennial & annual plants in zones 4-6, including their identification, growing habits, bloom times, sizes, preferred soil types, water, and fertilization requirements.
- Care for and maintain local and ornamental plants, including tropical plants, vegetables, and herbs.
- Identify plant pests, diseases, and environmental conditions affecting plants.
- Have a basic understanding of irrigation and lighting systems.
Perform other tasks as needed
- Degree or certification in a horticultural or related field.
- At least two years of experience as a professional urban gardener.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to multitask and prioritize effectively.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to inspire and motivate teams.
- Professional, effective, and prompt communication skills.
- Flexibility in a fast-paced and dynamic environment where priorities may change due to weather, scheduling, and events.
- Familiarity with local and ornamental plant species and plant identification skills.
- Proficiency in using gardening tools and equipment.
- Punctual, dependable, sociable, detail-oriented, and have a passion for gardening.
- Physical fitness and ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Physically work outdoors in diverse weather conditions.
- Presentable appearance.
- Have a valid NYS driver's license.
- Comfortable driving a minivan and parallel parking in the city.
Jane Gil Gardens