Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $60-80K commensurate with experience
As an Operations Manager, you will play a pivotal role in overseeing and optimizing the daily operations of Jane Gil Gardens Inc (JGG). The Operations Manager directly supervises Crew Leads and Gardeners. This is a full-time position serving as the main point of contact for clients and ensuring the delivery of quality gardening services offered by JGG. Travel is required to our service areas, primarily within but not limited to the NYC metro area: Manhattan, Bronx, and Brooklyn.
- Demonstrates an understanding of garden design and aesthetics.
- Has a global understanding of client expectations, site requirements, and operational logistics.
3. Demonstrate strong knowledge of perennial & annual plants in zones 4-6, including their identification, growing habits, bloom times, sizes, preferred soil types, water, and fertilization requirements.
4. Performs job site planning and walkthroughs, ensuring the team is aware of all tasks to be completed and all materials and tools are available and accounted for at the beginning and end of each job.
5. Executes and leads the installation, de-installation, demolition, and maintenance of garden areas to meet client and Company quality standards.
6. Cares for and maintains local and ornamental plants, including tropical plants, vegetables, and herbs.
7. Attends management and client meetings.
8. Fosters strong relationships and effective communication with the management team, vendors, and clients to ensure seamless coordination and alignment of operational activities.
9. Leads and motivates a diverse team of Gardeners and Crew Leads, providing guidance, coaching, and performance feedback.
10. Fosters a collaborative and high-performance culture to drive employee engagement and development.
11. Regularly monitors performance and implements corrective action to attain the desired results as it relates to plants, people, and processes.
12. Establishes and enforces quality control measures to meet or exceed client standards.
13. Ensures each job site is left in pristine condition, with proper care given to planting, weeding, pruning, watering, training, fertilization, and pest and disease control as needed.
14. Maintains accurate documentation of processes, procedures, and policies.
15. Promptly completes required operational reports and tracking by utilizing designated resources.
16. Collaborates with finance and accounting teams to ensure design and operational tasks are within budget, including time and attendance, billable tasks, invoices, estimates, material and supply procurement, etc.
17. Continuously evaluates and improves processes to enhance efficiency, productivity, and quality in alignment with company goals.
18. Identifies potential operational risks and develop mitigation plans.
19. Ensures compliance with regulations and promote a culture of workplace safety.
20. Monitors and manages resources, including personnel, equipment, and materials, to ensure optimal utilization and timely delivery of products or services. This includes staffing personnel and materials efficiently for jobs.
21. Generates nursery orders, perform nursery visits, and source materials.
22. Coordinates and collaborates with vendors and teams to maintain inventory levels and ensure company vehicles and tools are properly organized and maintained at end of day.
23. Communicates and coordinates work plans and site visits to team members, vendors, and clients.
24. Perform other tasks as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract
and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing Software, Spreadsheet Software, Accounting Software, Project management Software, Payroll Systems, Email, and Web Searching.
Associate's degree (A. A. / A. S.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; and two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in Ornamental Horticulture or related field.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Degree or certification in Horticultural or related field desired
- Valid NYS driver's license
- Digging forks
- Hand shears
- Light handheld power tools
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Proficiently identify plant pests, diseases, and environmental conditions affecting plants.
- Have a basic understanding of irrigation and lighting systems.
- Ability to proficiently utilize software including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to multitask and prioritize effectively.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to inspire and motivate teams.
- Professional, effective, and prompt communication skills.
- Flexibility in a fast-paced and dynamic environment where priorities may change due to weather, scheduling, and events.
- Familiarity with local and ornamental plant species and plant identification skills.
- Proficiency in using gardening tools and equipment.
- Punctual, dependable, sociable, detail-oriented, and have a passion for gardening.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift
and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to see color.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Jane Gil Gardens