Organic Vegetable Garden Supervisor
Start Date: April 1, 2020
About the Sands Point Preserve
The Sands Point Preserve on the Guggenheim Estate embodies the grandeur and elegance that define the Gold Coast period of the early 20th century, when prominent American families built great mansions on large estates as summer retreats along the Long Island Sound. Sands Point was the famed “East Egg” of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby.” Today, the magnificent 216-acre park, including four historic mansions, is owned by Nassau County, NY, and is maintained and operated by the Sands Point Preserve Conservancy, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The Conservancy provides year-round educational and cultural programs, seasonal celebrations, mansion tours, and fitness activities. In 2018, the Conservancy established a 40 x 40’ organic, irrigated vegetable garden as an educational resource, as well as an orchard of 30 fruit trees on a sunny lawn that overlooks the Long Island Sound. Produce is donated to families in need on a regular basis; occasionally, produce will be incorporated in culinary classes at the Preserve.
The Garden Supervisor (GS) is responsible for the annual design and hands-on maintenance of an attractive organic vegetable garden in the existing facility, that serves as an educational resource. The GS will also lead periodic hands-on education workshops to promote organic, sustainable gardening methods. The GS will collaborate with the Conservancy’s Education Director to create and
support a series of horticulture lectures by visiting experts on a range of topics. The GS will be supported by the Conservancy’s maintenance staff. This position is
seasonal and part time – April through November, approximately 15 – 20 hours per week. The position reports directly to the Conservancy’s Executive Director
and Education Director.
- Prepare goals and plans for the organic vegetable garden, including selection of plants, within an annual budget.
- Create and implement the planting, maintenance, and harvest schedule for the facility.
- Perform daily, hands-on tasks to prepare, plant, maintain, and harvest the garden and prepare for winter.
- Supervise and train Conservancy maintenance staff and volunteers throughout the growing season.
- Oversee the irrigation system.
- Identify and problem-solve for mold, infestations, etc., utilizing integrated pest management principles.
- Collaborate with Education Director to develop horticultural education programming.
- Preferred: Bachelor of Science in Horticulture
- Required: BS/BA and Master Gardener Certification or equivalent
- Minimum of five years of practical experience in the organic horticulture field, ideally a similar facility.
- Minimum of three years of training / teaching gardening methods.
- Knowledge of and experience with IPM, irrigation.
- Must be physically fit.
- Flexible schedule, some weekends are required.
- Willingness to assist in other aspects of the Sands Point Preserve’s gardens and grounds.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
To apply, send letter and resume to Info@sandspointpreserve.org.