The NYC Compost Project Hosted by Earth Matter NY seeks an enthusiastic individual with compost and outreach experience for a Full-time Outreach Coordinator/Driver position located on Governors Island, NY. The position will be employed by Earth Matter NY and is managed by the Compost Project Manager. This person is responsible for supporting Earth Matter NY with leading volunteer coordination, managing social media and promotion, leading tours and group workdays. In addition, they would be developing and maintaining community relationships and picking up organics by truck from Food Scrap Drop Off Sites (FSDOs) in NYC. These responsibilities require the candidate to be available for weekend work.
- Lead volunteer coordination to support all NYC Compost Project Hosted by Earth Matter NY programming.
- Develop new and maintain existing relationships with volunteers and partner organizations.
- Coordinate scheduling, logistics, and communications for public programming, including tours and compost workdays.
- Create event agreements with visiting groups.
- Liaise with the Trust for Governors Island for ferry scheduling, and all volunteer coordination such as registration of visitors and vehicles on the ferry
- Staffing at the Compost Learning Center during open season hours (weekends May-Oct) and volunteer work days and tour days alongside other staff.
- Assist with data collection of volunteer participation, group work days and organics pickups for metrics reporting.
- Contribute to social media, assist with website upkeep, newsletters and compliance with DSNY branding standards and BRS social media requests.
- Participate in processing of organics and maintenance of the Compost Learning Center.
- Drive a 14’ dump hybrid truck with liftgate for pick up and delivery of organics from FSDO sites in NYC for processing on Governors Island.
- Develop new FSDO partnerships/relationships as needed.
- Liaise and troubleshoot with FSDO managers for successful coordination of pickups.
- Act as an overall ambassador of the NYC Compost Project.
- Perform additional duties as determined by Earth Matter NY and by BRS.
- Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills and the ability to work with the public, alone and in a team, in a variety of settings.
- Must be self-directed, motivated, highly accountable, flexible, well-organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to lift 70 lbs. and do physical work related to composting (required).
- Willingness to work outdoors in all seasons and on weekends.
- Knowledge of and commitment to composting and other recycling efforts.
- Good sense of humor, flexibility and openness to learning.
- Comfortable with and sensitive to a wide range of people and environments.
- Truck driving experience and active driver’s licence in NYC required
- Minimum two years of related work experience required
- Strong administrative and organizational skills (inclusive of Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint, and Google Docs)
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience in Mailchimp, and WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite a plus
Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with cover letter and resume. Cover letter should express how you meet the requirements of driver and outreach coordination specifically (beyond interest or education in sustainability). Looking forward to your application!
Earth Matter NY, Inc.
Contact Name: Hiring Manager