Park Maintenance Person
Under the direction of the Park Foreman, performs a variety of general landscaping, custodial, maintenance, and repair tasks; operate various types of manual and power equipment necessary to perform these functions; does related work as required.
- Follows established safety guidelines and uses proper equipment.
- Maintains lawns using tractors, power walk‐behind and manual mowers, string trimmers, blowers and hand tools.
- Trash management including litter pickup.
- Maintains public washrooms in a sanitary condition.
- Fertilizes grass requiring loading of fertilizers into spreaders and operation of the spreader or sprayer.
- Trims and prunes trees and shrubs from the ground.
- Loads and unloads materials and supplies, both packaged and in bulk, up to fifty pounds.
- Removes snow by plowing, power equipment and manual shoveling.
- Repairs and maintains Park roads, parking areas, trails and walkways.
- Operates Park Commission motor vehicles to transport personnel, materials and equipment on Park Commission property and public roadways.
- Works overtime as needed to meet the needs of Park Service.
- Assists in the maintenance, repair and construction of Park Commission buildings, roads, parking areas and trails.
- Assists in the maintenance and repair of tools and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Knowledge of the tools, methods and materials used in ground and landscape area maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at an eighth-grade level in order to safely operate equipment and apply fertilizers and pesticides.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral directions.
- Ability to maintain a satisfactory attendance record.
- Physical dexterity, strength and coordination sufficient to operate manual; and power lawn cutting and maintenance equipment.
- Valid New Jersey driver’s license.
- Experience in maintenance and repair tasks.
- The physical ability to perform the essential functions of the Park Maintenance position with or without reasonable accommodation.