Park Maintenance Person
Under the direction of the Superintendent Park Maintenance or his/her designee, performs a variety of general maintenance repair and cleaning tasks; may operate various types of manual and power equipment necessary to perform these functions; does related work as required.
- Follows established safety guidelines and uses proper equipment.
- Mows grass by using tractor, power walk‐behind and manual mowers.
- Edges and trims grass by using manual and power equipment.
- Fertilizes grass requiring loading of fertilizers into spreaders and operation of the spreader or sprayer.
- Clears grass areas by manual raking and use of power blowers and other equipment.
- Trims and prunes trees from the ground.
- Loads and unloads materials and supplies, both packaged and in bulk, up to fifty pounds.
- Removes snow by use of power equipment and by manual shoveling.
- Repairs and maintains Park roads, parking areas, trails and walkways.
- Maintains washrooms in a sanitary condition.
- Operates Park Commission motor vehicles to transport personnel, materials and equipment on Park Commission property and public roadways.
- Works overtime when necessary to meet the needs of Park Service.
- These functions may be performed in one park or several parks.
- Knowledge of the tools, methods and materials used in ground and landscape area maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at an eighth grade level in order to safely operate equipment and apply fertilizers and pesticides.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral directions.
- Ability to maintain a satisfactory attendance record.
- Physical dexterity, strength and coordination sufficient to operate manual; and power lawn cutting and maintenance equipment.
- Possession of valid New Jersey driver’s license.
- Some experience in work involving a variety of maintenance and repair tasks.
- The physical ability to perform the essential functions of the Park Maintenance position with or without reasonable accommodation.