Part Time Garden Educators
Beazer’s Garden Workshops has guided urban ecology and gardening education programs for over 26 years. Help us grow our new nonprofit!
Gardens are naturally educational spaces that allow people to engage in a variety of topics related to ecology. We know of the benefits of reconnecting with nature, and the importance of growing nutritious and healthy food, but gardening does much more! These spaces blend concepts on the interdependence of living things, sustainable urban development, and green infrastructure, provide opportunities for civics and stewardship, and create beauty and calm in our busy cities. You will represent Beazer’s Garden Workshops as an educator in one or more of our school or community partner locations.
We are looking for several part-time, flexible, and experienced educators for the positions above, to guide youth and adult student groups in topics related to ecology, gardening, nutrition, sustainability, green infrastructure, civics, and related topics.
Help us teach communities to know, grow and eat healthy food and guide them in their roles as stewards in the urban environment!
Why work with us?
- Part-Time, Flexible & Rewarding Work with room to grow into management or add on projects.
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Competitive pay and an inclusive, accommodating work culture
- Opportunities to expand your education management and teaching skills in several areas (curriculum design, marketing, graphic design, strategic planning, and more!)
Looking for several people in each area
(1) Adult Program Eco Educators
(2) K-12 Day & Afterschool Garden Educators
(3) K-12 Para Educators
(4) Gardeners/Landscape Designers
(1-2) Adult/ Dayschool/ Afterschool Eco Educator Job Description & Essential Functions
You will be responsible for creating and conducting eco-based lessons for Prek-5th, 6th-12th grade students and/or Adult education day programs. We provide curriculum resources, direction and calendar pacing but encourage educators to develop and utilize their own content and style of teaching within our framework.
- Ability to speak in front of groups of people.
- Ability to actively involve and engage students in their own learning.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with students, co-workers, supervisors, and the school and external community.
- Must be able to develop, prepare, and present information clearly.
- Maintain student educational records and behavior notes while maintaining confidentiality about children, their families, and other employees outside the school.
- Must be able to physically perform the duties of the position.
- At least 2+ years solid gardening experience, comfortable working outdoors with the ability to assist in the maintenance of a large school rooftop garden. Able to bend and lift 50lbs, ability to identify and care for basic garden plants and insects. The ability to help train garden volunteers is a plus.
- Experience developing garden and environmental-related curricula aligned with the Common Core, Next Generation Science Standards, International Baccalaureate, and/or the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Experience and ability to effectively lead students in garden-based activities while providing a fun and safe learning environment.
(3) Para educator Job Description & Essential Functions
Paraeducators are also known as school aides, teacher assistants, instructional aides, one-to-one aides, and personal care assistants. A Beazer’s Garden paraeducator assists the garden educators in providing extra support to students with special needs and promoting maximum academic and personal growth for all students.
- Paraeducators are responsible for providing instructional reinforcement for individual students or small groups of students.
- Assist teacher with classroom management and general supervision of the class.
- Assist with administrative duties such as setting up equipment, and preparing materials, and maintaining program documents.
- Supervise students in all program spaces, the cafeteria, schoolyard, and hallways during after-school programs.
- Attend to students' physical, personal, academic, and emotional needs, maintain records of student behavior and development, and communicate with their caregivers.
- Support students with special needs by following provisions specified in their IEPs/504 Plans
- Maintains communication with student families and caregivers
- Perform other duties as directed by the classroom teacher and program administration
(4) Gardeners/Landscape Designers
We are always looking to partner with other eco professionals such as landscape designers and firms on our garden installation and maintenance contracts. We would love to have a team of designers that could work on various projects around the year. Would be responsible for site assessment, budget estimates, materials procurement, and labor of installation.
- At least 2+ years professional experience in education, and/or NYS Teaching Certification, and/or associate or a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Organized, with effective time management and planning skills; with quick-thinking, problem-solving skills, and the ability to improvise.
- Must enjoy and be skilled in working with people, be creative, and be patient with a good sense of humor. Additional skills in arts, music, yoga, dance, sports, etc. a plus.
- Must be responsible, with the ability to work independently and in a team, and interact professionally and respectfully with school staff, students, and parents.
- Must be DOE, DOI, or PETS fingerprinted to work with children and able to pass the state background check with clearance to work in the US. Current CPR/First Aid Training, DOE & DOH mandated training plus.
- Fluent French and/or Spanish speaking is a BIG plus.
- Administrative skills, working knowledge of computers, Google Classroom, Padlet, and Social Media a plus.
We consider only those applications that clearly demonstrate the applicant meets all required qualifications as indicated on the posting, please review the qualifications before applying.
Persons meeting the required qualifications as stated above should submit the following with the position role in the subject line:
- a cover letter that addresses each of the qualifications
- resume with relevant experience
- 2 garden/nutrition/eco craft-based lesson writing samples for kids or adults
- three (3) work-related references
Beazer’s Garden Workshops is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Beazer’s Garden continuously works to create an environment where all its employees - regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, age or abilities - can work to the fullest of their potential in a fair and welcoming space. Believing that a diverse company is more innovative and successful, we have embraced diversity to ensure that we are empowered to make sure that "Every day counts" for our employees, the students, and the schools we serve.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between Beazer’s Garden and the contractor and is subject to change.
Job Type: Contract, Part-time
Pay: $8,000.00 - $40,000.00 per year