Part-Time Seasonal Gardener
Carl Schurz Park Conservancy is a not for profit organization dedicated to the maintenance, restoration, and beautification of Carl Schurz Park, a New York City public park located on New York’s Upper East Side. Incorporated in 1974, the Conservancy works in the 14+ acre park which consists of small wooded areas, native and non-native planted garden beds, lawns and dog runs, child and adult play spaces and hardscape. See www.carlschurzparknyc.org.
The Conservancy is seeking a part-time seasonal gardener for the 2019 season. This position reports to the Conservancy’s Horticulturist. The part-time seasonal gardener will also interact with and maintain good relationships with the volunteer gardeners and New York City Parks Department personnel.
The part-time seasonal gardener will be responsible for supporting the activities of the Conservancy’s Horticulturist, the Master Gardener, the volunteer gardeners and the Gardening Committee in many aspects of caring for the landscaped areas of the Park, including zone gardens, lawns, berms and woodland areas.
Responsibilities will include:
- Watering lawns, trees, berms, and gardens in the Park, especially during times of establishment and drought, and in the absence of the Horticulturist or any zone gardeners
- Performing seasonal work, including pruning, planting, transplanting, removing plant debris
- Turning soil, mulching, edging, and weeding
- Maintaining garden beds for vacationing volunteer zone gardeners
- Assisting with the Monthly Volunteer Day and the Thursday Peter Pan Day
- Maintaining tools and keeping the sheds in a tidy condition
- Assisting with computer/administrative tasks, if the part-time seasonal gardener’s technical skill set is appropriate
Requirements for this position include:
- Availability to work 20 hours per week for approximately 20 weeks, plus one Saturday per month
- Experience with gardening work, watering, planting, pruning, and general maintenance
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather and temperature conditions
- Ability to work in a team, be a team leader and also work alone
- Ability to follow instructions and to take initiative
- The physical capacity to perform duties safely
- Specific plant knowledge would be helpful, but not required
Interested applicants should send a resume to:
Patrick McCluskey, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.
The desired start date is April 1, 2019.
Patrick McCluskey, Director of Operations