Plant-O-Rama Event Manager
Start Date: September 1, 2023 Compensation: $25.00 -$35.00 per hour based on experience
PLANT-O-RAMA is Metro Hort Group’s annual Symposium, Trade Show & Jobs Fair for Horticulture Professionals. It is our largest program of the year attracting 750 - 1000 gardeners, designers, arborists, and educators working in public parks, botanical gardens, & private Edens in the New York City, Tri-State region now in its 28th year.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Metro Hort Group (MHG) Board of Directors seeks a dedicated event manager to lead and manage Plant-O-Rama (POR), a beloved and popular annual event.
KEY RELATIONSHIPS: Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) Staff Coordinator, Trade Show Coordinator, Jobs Fair Coordinator, Metro Hort Board of Directors, Plant O Rama Committee, Graphic Designer, Web Designer, Event Chair and co-chairs.
- Management: Lead Co Chairs, committee members and volunteers to ensure tasks are completed on
- Administrative: Attend and proctor meetings. Develop workback timelines, run of show, budgets, volunteer needs, and committee assignments. Develop post event attendee surveys. Provide an end summary including documents, contacts, and other forms at close.
- Finances: Prepare & manage event budget including expenses and income (contributed and sales), prepare check requests, advise on event adjustments to meet target goals as needed.
- Talent Services: Book talent. Coordinate talent logistics including travel, rehearsals, and promotional
- Marketing and Communication: Develop marketing plan. Draft copy. Coordinate with website manager and graphic designer on web needs, flyers, graphic acquisitions, weekly emails, in event signage and other promotional materials as needed.
▪ Venue Management: Prepare site plans and supply lists for Trade Show, Jobs Fair, Auditorium, and Visitor Center (tables, chairs, AV equipment, etc.) Work directly with BBG staff to set POR dates, get on BBG institutional calendar, book and coordinate facilities. Book venue for Speaker’s dinner.
- Catering: Select menu, manage food budget, oversee food contract and food stations/setups.
- Technology: Coordinate logistics and source outside contractors in regard to ticket sales, live
streaming/recording services, post production scope, and rental equipment.
- Sales: Monitor online ticket sales with support of the ticketing chair and provide reports.
- Volunteer Management: Recruit and manage MHG volunteers for event set-up day and other functions on the day of the event. Work with BBG Staff Coordinator to determine the needs and responsibilities of BBG volunteers.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and thoroughness.
- A minimum of two years of experience managing similar scale programs and events.
- Familiarity with digital ticketing systems, hybrid programming, and marketing.
- Ability to write clear and effective copy.
- MHG seeks a dedicated individual interested in managing this event for multiple years.
TIME COMMITMENT: Approximately 120 Hours in total leading up to the event. Weekly committee meetings are
typically scheduled September - January.
Metro Hort Group Inc