Plant Records Assistant (Seasonal)
The Morris Count Park Commission
Title: Plant Records Assistant
Part Time: Seasonal
Division: Cultural & Environmental Resources
Position Charter:Under the supervision of the Plant Records Curator Specialist, the Plant Records Assistant will develop skills relevant to a career in plant collections and professional horticulture. This position includes the opportunity to learn plant collections management utilizing IrisBG desktop and mobile software as well as labeling, verifying, and mapping the collections at the arboreta. Interns will also assist with nursery management, plant propagation, and seed collection activities.
- Collect GPS field data of woody and herbaceous plant material using mobile mapping technology to assist with mapping projects including but not limited to the Willowwood Arboretum, the Bamboo Brook Outdoor Education Center and the Frelinghuysen Arboretum.
- Conduct field inventory surveys and determine needs for plant labeling, taxonomic verifications, and maintenance activities.
- Accession, de-accession, and update plant records using IrisBG recordkeeping software.
- Perform collections assessments and prepare reports on plants of interest.
- Create plant labels for the plant collections using an engraver, embosser, and laser printer.
- Assist with seed collection, cleaning, counting, inventory, propagation, sale, and Index Seminum seed exchange.
- Assist with nursery management activities including watering, weeding, and pruning plant material. Unloading or loading plant material to and from the nursery.
- Assist with preparation for tours, events, and other on-site activities at horticulture sites as needed.
- Perform office tasks including data entry, scanning documents, and compiling data.
- Assist with organization, inventory, and collection of herbarium specimens.
- Carry out standard operational procedures and garden tasks assigned with other horticulture team members or volunteers.
- Assist with woody plant propagation activities and greenhouse tasks.
- Assist with field data collection projects as requested by the Manager of Horticulture or the Assistant Deputy Director of Cultural & Environmental Resources.
- Advise supervisors of equipment and supply needs.
- Operate Park Commission motor vehicles safely to transport personnel, materials, and equipment on Park Commission properties and public roadways.
- Completes other projects and tasks as assigned.
- One year experience in professional horticulture, plant science, botany, landscaping, GIS, ecology, environmental studies, curation and collections management, or museum studies.
- Ability to comprehend established office routines, rules, and regulations of complexity and to organize assigned work and develop effective work methods accurately with a high level of attention to detail.
- Hands-on use of personal computer and applications with proficiency in Microsoft Office Products and ability to learn new software.
- The ability to follow written and verbal instructions and perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Possession of a valid New Jersey driver’s license.
- Ability to bend, walk, sit, or stoop for long periods.
- Ability to work outside in all seasons, weather conditions, and among vegetation.
- The ability to operate utility vehicles and garden tools effectively.
- The ability to lift and carry weights of up to 50 pounds.
- The physical strength, dexterity, and coordination sufficient to perform the above functions.
- The ability to maintain an attendance record adequate to complete the essential functions of the position.
- The ability to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Apply online and download the job application at: https://www.morrisparks.net/index.php/commission/employment/
The job application and resume can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Morris County Park Commission
P.O. Box 1295
Morristown, NJ 07962
The Morris Count Park Commission