Start Date: 8/15/2022 Compensation: $20 per hour
The Horticultural Society of New York seeks an energetic and dedicated Program Assistant to oversee and support public space programming. The position will support events in a timely and professional manner, working to oversee public space programs and events in New York City including public plazas and open streets. The mission of The Horticultural Society of New York is to improve human lives through horticulture. Our social service and public programs create green spaces in all neighborhoods as a vital part of social infrastructure, train people for jobs that grow and sustain green communities, and develop fresh approaches to improve New Yorkers’ health, well-being, and the environment through horticulture
- Event Support o Provide On-Site Event support in various public spaces
- Assist with publicizing events (flier distribution, business notification, etc.) as needed
- Support planning and operations for events and programming
- Document public space conditions and issues
- Support Senior Grant Writer with metric tracking
- Support horticulture teams and open street staff
- Special projects
- Other administrative tasks
- Hands-on experience providing event support
- Comfortable traveling daily to new sites throughout NYC, sometimes multiple sites daily
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable interacting with the public, city officials, and local businesses/organizations
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions
- Ability to work evening and weekend shifts. Weekend shifts will be required throughout the summer and fall, with a potential schedule change for winter
- All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date
Benefits: The Hort offers all Full-Time regular employees a generous Paid Time Off package, termed Life Insurance Policy and Employee Assistance Program. Pre-tax benefits include transit, Flexible Spending Account, medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Rate: Starts at $20/hour Employment Classification: Full-time Regular Reports to: Program and Operations Manager The Program Assistant has the option to work a hybrid schedule with the anticipation that at least 3 inperson days will be required (includes office days and site visit days).
How to Apply: To be considered please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and two references to name at firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Program Assistant’ in the subject line. No phone calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job.
Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email email@example.com should you require reasonable accommodation during the hiring process.
The Horticultural Society of New York