(Paid Opportunities) Return to Paid Opportunities
Start Date: 3/15/23 Compensation: $20-$23 per hour
The Horticultural Society of New York seeks energetic and dedicated Program Assistants to oversee and support public space programming. The position will support events in a timely and professional manner, overseeing public space programs in New York City, including public plazas and open streets. In addition, Program Assistants will support the daily work and operations of the Open Streets and Public Plazas that The Hort maintains.
The mission of The Hort is to improve human lives through horticulture. Our social service and public programs create green spaces in all neighborhoods as a vital part of social infrastructure, train people for jobs that grow and sustain green communities, and develop fresh approaches to improve New Yorkers’ health, well-being, and the environment through horticulture.
- Event Support
- Provide On-Site Event support in various public spaces (set up, take down, tech support, photography, permitting, program provision, etc.)
- Assist with publicizing events (flier distribution, business notification, etc.) as needed
- Support Open Streets and Plaza operations by assisting with material and supply needs and traveling to sites to document and report to OPS managers
- Document and report public space conditions and issues
- Facilitate data collection as well as metric tracking and reporting
- Support horticulture teams
- Participation in special projects, professional development, and involvement in interdepartmental projects
- Other administrative tasks
- Hands-on experience providing event support
- Enjoys traveling daily to various sites throughout NYC, sometimes multiple sites daily on public transportation
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable interacting with the public, city officials, and local businesses/organizations
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks and respond to program needs quickly
- Working knowledge of computer skills (Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions
- Able to lift and/or move up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to stand/walk for up to eight hours.
- Able to sit and use a computer for extended periods.
- Ability to work evening and weekend shifts
- All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before their start date
The Hort offers all Full-Time regular employees a generous Paid Time Off package, termed Life Insurance Policy and Employee Assistance Program. Pre-tax benefits include transit, Flexible Spending Account, and medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Rate: $20- $23/hour
- Employment Classification: Full-time Regular
- Positions Available: 2
- Reports to: Program and Operations Managers
How to Apply To be considered, please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Program Assistant’ in the subject line. No phone calls.
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations are also available for these individuals during the hiring process. Please email email@example.com should you require reasonable accommodation during the hiring process.
The Horticultural Society of New York