The Horticultural Society of New York seeks an energetic and dedicated Program Manager to oversee and support public space programming. The position will create, manage and implement events in a timely and professional manner, overseeing public space programs in New York City, including at the Greenhouse Education Center at Riverbank State Park, public plazas, and open streets. In addition, the Program Manager will support the relationships with community partners throughout New York City,
The mission of The Hort is to improve human lives through horticulture. Our social service and public programs create green spaces in all neighborhoods as a vital part of social infrastructure, train people for jobs that grow and sustain green communities, and develop fresh approaches to improve New Yorkers’ health, well-being, and the environment through horticulture.
Event Design and Management
- Plan public programming in various public spaces
- Coordinate permitting, purchasing, and logistics
- Coordinate staffing
- Oversee publicizing events (flier distribution, business notification, etc.)
- Manage on the ground operations
- Coordination with partners
- Set up, take down, tech support, photography
- Manage Program Assistants
- Facilitate data collection as well as metric tracking and reporting
Community Partner Coordination
• Work with community partners to ensure all public programs are in-line with community needs and expectations
- Minimum of two years’ experience working in program planning and implementation
- Knowledge of government operations and New York Community organizations
- Enjoys traveling daily to various sites throughout NYC, sometimes multiple sites daily on public transportation
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable interacting with the public, city officials, and local businesses/organizations
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks and respond to program needs quickly
- Working knowledge of computer skills (Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Ability to perform physical labor outside in various weather conditions
- Able to lift and/or move up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to stand/walk for up to eight hours.
- Able to sit and use a computer for extended periods.
- Ability to work evening and weekend shifts
- All employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before their start date
- Fluency in Spanish
The Hort offers all Full-Time regular employees a generous Paid Time Off package, termed Life Insurance Policy and Employee Assistance Program. Pre-tax benefits include transit, Flexible Spending Account, and medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Details at a Glance
• Wednesday-Sunday 10am-6pm
The Hort is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The Horticultural Society of New York