Project Development Coordinator for Urban Field Station
Start Date: ASAP Compensation: $29.61/hr. new hire $34.05/hr incumbent
NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem.
The New York City Urban Field Station (NYC UFS), is an urban land management, ecology, stewardship, and conservation research hub and network. The Urban Field Station is a partnership of NYC Parks, the US Forest Service, and the Natural Areas Conservancy. Employees who work for 6 months or longer are eligible for healthcare benefits.
All staff will be provided with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Under general direction, with wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, of senior staff, advance the goals and objectives of the New York City Urban Field Station (NYC UFS) and Stewardship of NYC Natural Areas.
- Manage administrative tasks related to facilities management, including budget, purchasing, building maintenance and communications.
- Oversee the schedule for use of the UFS lab, maintain equipment, implement and enforce safety protocols, and assist in preparing soil, plant and water samples for analysis.
- Manage resident services for all visiting researchers, artists, scholars, land managers and other guests.
- Coordinate communications, outreach, stewardship projects and events including the Science of the Living City program.
- Assist in the preparation of the UFS annual report and other reports on UFS programs.
- Conduct literature reviews and draft summaries and briefings.
- Take minutes at UFS meetings and prepare presentations.
- Support outreach efforts with other work happening within the division, with local park managers, local community groups and other agencies.
- Schedule, manage and supervise volunteer events and maintain records and prepare written reports as needed in relation to service events.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in “1” above.
- Experience with research and research institutions.
- Excellent communication, writing, organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite, Adobe, Outlook, and basic GIS.
- Experience collaborating with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team and independently.
- A valid in New York State driver license.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
Fees: Hired candidates may be subject to a processing fee of $68.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee. Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
HOW TO APPLY: For more information and to apply email resume and cover letter to Tely Renata (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail to: Tely Renata, NYC Parks-Arsenal North, 1234 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10029
Parks & City Employees: Include your ERN on your cover letter and resume. All candidates please indicate which position you are applying for.
NYC Parks-Forestry, Horticulture, and Natural Resources Division
Website: Apply Online