Project Manager (Landscape Installation)
Brooklyn Grange, the world’s leading soil-based rooftop farm business, is seeking an experienced, positive, hard-working individual to help expand its Design/Build department. The Design/Build department is charged with the design, construction and maintenance of varied projects that include commercial green roofs, rooftop meadows, residential roofs/terraces/yards, indoor green walls, edible landscapes, stone and wooden hardscapes, irrigation, and more. The Project Manager will be responsible for planning and installing these projects. Key responsibilities will include project estimating (during proposal phase), materials ordering and coordination, onsite construction and execution, and crew management and oversight. The Project Manager will collaborate with the Sales & Design Manager, providing estimates as well as design and materials input for project proposals, and will be responsible for client communication onsite. The Project Manager will report to the Director of Design/Build, and will also collaborate with other Project Managers, as well as the garden Maintenance team to ensure all installations are set up for long-term success.
The Project Manager is a motivated, driven and creative problem solver who can maintain Brooklyn Grange’s standards throughout all phases of a green space buildout. Applicants should be positive and passionate about green spaces and sustainability, and must have experience managing projects successfully from vendor outreach and delivery coordination, to final punch list and client walkthroughs. Additionally, the Project Manager should be able to lead, organize, and train crew, while also having a handle on big picture execution. The Project Manager should expect to be present onsite during installations, including early mornings and in bad weather, and will be responsible for running point and representing the company to clients and whomever else they may encounter at our installation sites. When installations are not happening, the Project Manager may assist in supporting the company’s rooftop farm facilities with small carpentry and infrastructure projects.
The job will bring applicants to installation sites throughout New York City and the surrounding area, and will include hardscaping, masonry, green wall assembly, planter garden installations, green roof installations, and irrigation work. The Project Manager will work with the Sales and Design Manager to create plans and estimates, and then take the lead on project coordination including team scheduling, site prep and staging, materials acquisition, installation, cleanup, and handoff to our Garden Maintenance team (when applicable). The Project Manager will be expected to confidently interact with clients and efficiently address client requests or concerns throughout the project, and should be receptive to feedback from client, Director of Design/Build, and other stakeholders in the project. Additionally, the Project Manager is expected to be a consummate team leader, motivating and coaching crew throughout installations with an ability to balance pace, quality, and team morale.
Installations will vary and the Project Manager must be adaptable to all sites while striving for quality and efficiency. Frequent physical labor in varied weather conditions, as well as a keen sense of crew needs will be required. The Project Manager must be able to clearly communicate with crew regarding their onsite tasks, as well as address their safety and wellbeing according to OSHA and NYC DOB safety standards. Additional work may include system development for efficiencies across the department, not limited to managing live plant material, storage space organization, crew coordination, and general oversight of department facilities, vehicles and overall infrastructure.
SCHEDULE: Design/Build schedule will consist of Monday through Friday work, with occasional weekends as needed for installations. The Project Manager can expect to begin their day at 6:30AM when installations are happening, and should anticipate 10-hour days at various phases of project execution.
ABOUT THE COMPANY: Brooklyn Grange is the world’s largest green roof farming business. We grow vegetables, keep bees, and host programming & events on roofs in LIC, Queens, and Brooklyn, NY. We also design and install green roofs, gardens, and farms for clients ranging from private homes to corporate headquarters to low-income housing facilities.
All three of our departments—our Farm department, our Programming & Events department, and our Design/Build department—are part of our close-knit “farmily,” so working with Brooklyn Grange means working alongside a diverse team of extraordinary and knowledgeable individuals who share a common goal of making their city a greener, more sustainable, delicious, and equitable place to live.
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING:
- A progressive work environment as part of a small and enthusiastic team
- Salary starts at $50,000, commensurate with experience
- Prevailing Wage rates may apply for covered projects
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Participation in the company’s Simple IRA plan, Health Benefit, and other benefits
- Discounted Employee CSA offering
- Discounts to Brooklyn Grange events and workshops, and access to NYC’s most delicious vegetables when in season
- Email email@example.com with the subject line “Project Manager Job Application”
- Include a resume and cover letter
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled
- Construct and install beautiful, professional, and successful green roof systems, urban gardens, meadow landscapes, stone patios, planter boxes, green walls, etc.
- Provide input on materials and cost estimates for green spaces that range from small residential container gardens to large scale green roof construction (large scale projects are often a collaboration between Project Managers, the Sales & Design Manager, and the Director of Design/Build, as well as other senior team members).
- Coordinate with client re: site visits, onsite work schedule, and major equipment or delivery considerations. Communicate clearly with clients during and after installations and bring attention to detail and courteous professionalism to all client interactions.
- Coordinate with vendors and subcontractors when applicable. Brooklyn Grange welcomes new vendor recommendations and relationships.
- Execute on-site problem solving and best practices covering an array of greenspace installations.
- Clearly communicate with other Project Managers and Director of Design/Build regarding all matters related to the successful coordination of project needs or systems improvements.
- Clearly communicate with Crew regarding upcoming schedules, start times, locations, full project details etc, and cultivate efficient pace and systems among crew onsite.
- Manage and maintain crew well-being on job sites, show effective and attentive leadership and delegation to crew. Attention to Crew morale while on site and the wherewithal to jump in and support as needed is imperative.
- Maintain orderly work spaces, vehicles, and material/tool inventory.
- Manage occasional facilities days and carpentry projects onsite at Brooklyn Grange’s own farm sites.
- Support and collaborate with Design Build team, including other Project Managers, Head Gardener, and Director of Design/Build as-needed, assisting with all aspects of department work from project planning to completion. Must be willing to jump-in on other work as needed, demonstrating initiative and a true team player role.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Is positive, energetic, and has a strong work ethic
- Has 3+ years of experience in the urban landscaping field
- Has experience and general knowledge of garden installation and hardscaping; experience with green roofs and/or planter boxes a plus.
- Is well versed in project management and project timelines; specifically has experience with onsite project management and team leadership
- Has familiarity with Northeastern plants in zones 4 through 7b including: plant ID’s, growth habits, bloom times, training requirements, and preferred soil types is a plus
- Is a skilled carpenter and has knowledge of general assembly techniques, and is comfortable operating light machinery and power tools
- Has experience estimating landscaping construction projects (including materials, labor, administrative, etc)
- Displays initiative at all stages of project timeline, including in the office and onsite
- Understands the successful implementation and maintenance of basic irrigation systems
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Is an effective, focused, and empathetic leader of people
- Is a consummate team player and keen people person; is willing to assist with any/all aspects of the Design/Build team’s work as well as the company as a whole
- Is punctual, efficient, and organized
- Enjoys working outdoors in any weather
- Has attended a minimum of OSHA 30 hour training sessions, and holds an additional 10 hours of SST training (total 40 hours Site Safety Training required)
- Holds a valid driver’s license and is comfortable driving large vehicles in the city
- Can lift 50 lbs. repeatedly, and can squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time; can undertake the repeated physical labor of landscaping work required of the position
- Certification to drive a forklift preferred but not required
Brooklyn Grange is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and multicultural team. We consider all individuals for employment without regard to race, religion, age, sex, gender, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.