Prospect Park Alliance Lead Gardener (Lakeside)
Be part of the driving force that sustains Prospect Park, Brooklyn’s Flagship Park. Founded in 1987, Prospect Park Alliance is the non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park, “Brooklyn’s Backyard,” in partnership with the City. The Alliance provides critical staff and resources that keep the Park green and vibrant for the diverse communities that call Brooklyn home. The Prospect Park Alliance seeks a full-time Lead Gardener at Lakeside.
The Lead Gardener will work as part of a crew to maintain and advance the horticultural areas, lawns, and trees around the Lefrak Lakeside Center in Prospect Park. In the winter, on a temporary basis, this position may carry out arboricultural, horticultural, and/or snow removal tasks.
- Regularly involved in planning, organization, and implementation of site work by colleagues, contractors, interns, volunteers, city workers, and per-diem laborers.
- Directly supervises assistant gardeners and other alliance and city staff; including training, filling out timesheets, vacation requests, work schedules, biweekly schedules, incident reports, annual evaluations, and any other necessary paperwork for supervision.
- Under the supervision of the Horticulture Supervisor, acquisition of plant material for Lakeside.
- Herbaceous perennials spring cut-back with manual and power tools
- Hand weeding and weed whacking
- Mulching, pruning and general plant care
- Assisting with the leadership of volunteer groups
- Planting and transplanting trees, shrubs & and herbaceous plugs
- Lawn installation, renovation, over-seeding and care
- Irrigation installation, maintenance, operation of automated systems and hand watering of new plantings
- Loading and unloading plant materials onto and from transportation vehicles
- Occasionally propagate plants by division, and from seed or cuttings
- Fall leaf removal and leaf shredding with rakes, blowers, mowers, etc.
- Winter snow removal with shovels, snow blowers and ice-melting salt
- Trash, plant debris and invasive species removal
- Interaction with park patrons in a professional and courteous manner
- Degree or Certificate in Horticulture preferred, or five or more years horticulture or landscaping experience [or an equivalent combination of education and experience]
- Positive, self-motivated, problem-solver and possessing a strong work ethic
- Ability to effectively communicate with others including staff, volunteers, and the public
- Ability to effectively lead a full-time seasonal crew, to regularly set task priorities, to delegate responsibilities and to control and monitor the quality and completion of projects.
- NYS DEC Pesticide Applicator’s License or ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Expertise and ability to train others in 2 and 4 cycle engine operation, maintenance and repair including mowers, string trimmers, chainsaws, blowers, hedge-trimmers and other machines.
- Expertise and ability to train others in fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides used in grounds care and gardening.
- Expertise and ability to train others in lawn maintenance, renovation, irrigation systems maintenance, and installations.
- Strong plant and weed identification skills, curiosity about and a passion for the plant world. Be a life-long learner of plants and inspire Lakeside Assistant Gardeners to engage in such study and investigation of the plant world, with a focus on plants observed in horticulture plantings. This focus will allow the Lead Gardener to choose the best course of action based on accurate plant–identification or on a well-informed interpretation of situations encountered in the field. Automated Irrigation system knowledge a plus
- Punctual with excellent attendance and communication
- Ability to lift 50 lbs on a regular basis and to work outside in all weather conditions
- Valid New York State Driver’s License
- NYS CDL License or ability to obtain within 6 months
Please send your resume and cover letter to Job112@prospectpark.org.
No phone calls, please. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview.
The Alliance is committed to creating an inclusive employee experience for all. Regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or if you’re parenting the next generation, we firmly believe that our work is at its best when everyone feels free to be their most authentic self.
Prospect Park Alliance